Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Newbie - just joined the 964 fold!

That's a nice little motor Rich and a nice list of things to start with :thumbs:
hope you get it back for the weekend, if not, there's allways next week!

Well finally got the car back a few weeks back and then dropped it back in last week to get the suspension work done.

As promised, here it is after a bit of elbow grease -

imagejpg1.jpg

imagejpg3.jpg

imagejpg2.jpg

imagejpg4.jpg

imagejpg5.jpg

imagejpg6.jpg

I pinched JCX's idea on the VDO head unit which fits in with the rest of the dash really well IMO. Also fitted new alpine speakers behind the original grills so that it looks 100% stock - not that the radio is on that much anyway!

It now looks a lot more presentable but far from perfect just yet! I plan to get the front and rear bumpers painted (fit a RS rear centre section at the same time) and then just enjoy for the summer.

Funds permitting I will then drop it it for an engine rebuild sept/oct time!

Cheers,
Rich

Hi Rich,

Your car looks great!

Wish I had mine back for the weekend :nooo:

Enjoy,
Paul

Looks amazing exterior and interior , the black on black with that steering wheel really sets the whole car off :thumb:

Well done & enjoy !!!!

Rich,
Looking lovely, black on black just timeless. The steering wheel suits it a treat :thumb: keep up the good work and enjoy...

Looks fantastic :thumb: Does it have an RS short shift fitted, as the gear stick seems a touch higher than standard? Why are you thinking engine rebuild
:?:

Thanks for the compliments lads. Work in progress.

Ras - the previous owner spent the last 7 years doing short runs in start stop traffic which I reckon has taken its toll as it seems a bit flat. No need for any immediate panic but if it's going to be a keeper as planned I want it tip top.

Cheers,
Rich

A few updates...

Since getting the car back I have been trying to track down the cause of a very annoying loss of power and flat spots across the rev range. I was getting some conflicting opinions on the cause without anyone having much of an appetite to try and track it down....instead it seemed easier and most economically (for them!) convenient to recommend a rebuild! :frustrated:

Anyway, finally found someone who was prepared to spend a little time methodically working through the possible causes as opposed to just aimlessly throwing parts at it or recommending a 5k rebuild (in fact he was fairly sure after driving the car that a rebuild would not help the symptoms at all and was not required)

So, long story short....he found a disconnected vacuum pipe near the air box which apparently operates the resonance flap (sound right?) - apparently likely to cause flat spots. He then found inconsistent readings from the O2 sensor so we put a new one in, at the same time I swopped out the cat for a bypass and fitted a cup pipe (refitted the secondary silencer instead of the g pipe I recently fitted).

Well, what can I say....the difference is like night and day! The car is completely transformed, not sure if it was just one of the above issues causing the rough running or all of them but in any case I'm one very happy camper! It goes like a scalded cat and the from the new exhaust set up is fantastic too, much prefer it to the g pipe.

So pleased, in fact, that I dropped the car in for some paintwork on Monday (has to have the looks to match the go doesn't it? :lol: ). Nothing too major, removal & repaint of front and rear bumpers, skirts, bonnet, fitting/painting of front brake cooling ducts and rear RS bumper section recently bought from Cult Werk and repair and repaint of rear quarter where it had a past cheap repair/paint job by Stevie Wonder! Finally a refurb of the rear wheels...fronts were fine.

So I think that'll pretty much bring it to exactly where I wanted to get it (for now! :lol: ). Will post up a few more pics when I collect it on Friday....if I can pull myself away from the drivers seat for 10 minutes! :thumbs:

Rich

Car is looking fantastic! Nice to know that there are others as impatient as me. Look forward to seeing the finished product. :thumbs:

Great news!

People are too quick to point to a re-build on these cars, when a bit of problem solving does the trick.

If in doubt, ask on here! :thumbs:

Chris

Long overdue update...

I have thoroughly enjoyed the car over the past 18 months - including a 2k km euro trip last summer, various track days (Oulton RS day in March this year being the stand out track putting for me so far), Goodwood members meeting etc.

It had been 'sweating' a little since I have had it and was also burning a bit of oil (not excessive mind....used about 2.5 litres in total on the euro trip). Anyway, I had planned to enjoy the car for the rest of the summer and drop into Jon Miller at Classic Carreras for a rebuild in October. This plan, however, was scuppered recently when a seal somewhere deep in the engine finally gave way and emptied a considerable amount of oil in a very short space of time (just on tickover oil pressure!) onto my driveway - effectively leaving it undrivable! :nooo:

So all I've got to keep me sane is waiting for updates on Jon's rebuild photo log on his website here - http://www.classiccarreras.com/964 Engine/964 Engine.html

Hopefully it will be worth the wait!! ETA late September!!

Rich

Eire911 said:
Long overdue update...

I have thoroughly enjoyed the car over the past 18 months - including a 2k km euro trip last summer, various track days (Oulton RS day in March this year being the stand out track putting for me so far), Goodwood members meeting etc.

It had been 'sweating' a little since I have had it and was also burning a bit of oil (not excessive mind....used about 2.5 litres in total on the euro trip). Anyway, I had planned to enjoy the car for the rest of the summer and drop into Jon Miller at Classic Carreras for a rebuild in October. This plan, however, was scuppered recently when a seal somewhere deep in the engine finally gave way and emptied a considerable amount of oil in a very short space of time (just on tickover oil pressure!) onto my driveway - effectively leaving it undrivable! :nooo:

So all I've got to keep me sane is waiting for updates on Jon's rebuild photo log on his website here - http://www.classiccarreras.com/964 Engine/964 Engine.html

Hopefully it will be worth the wait!! ETA late September!!

Rich

Love Jon's last line while I was thinking... OMG, he wrote "All in All no major damage and all easily fixed with a regular rebuild."

Hey Rich
That reads like a horror story until the happy ending of an ordinary rebuild!
Well have to get another outing sorted when you're back on the road.

Michael

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Will.i.am911
Back