Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New Porsche Classic headunit and poor FM / DAB reception

I removed the clock to gain access to the aerial amplifier. It's removed it this photo but the mounting stud you can see is where the amplifier was mounted. I used this stud for the earth on the aerial extension.

Attachments

• p4_158.jpg
    p4_158.jpg
    711.7 KB · Views: 4,338
I also removed the oil gauge to help thread the aerial extension wire to the back of the headunit.

Attachments

• p5_133.jpg
    p5_133.jpg
    671.1 KB · Views: 4,334
I've nearly finished the install now. I've just a little bit of tidying up of the wiring but overall I'm really happy. Reception is great for both FM and DAB.

Thanks for sharing the photos. Just to be clear, what are you using as the aerial? You managed to do this without sticking anything on the windscreen?

tob_today said:
Thanks for sharing the photos. Just to be clear, what are you using as the aerial? You managed to do this without sticking anything on the windscreen?

From reading this .. you unplug the amplifier then attach this unit to the existing wire from the windscreen ..

This item is whats used for fitting a PCCM .. the classic Porsche aftermarket radio ... at least it is on the 996 model as i've fitted these and recognise it .

It's a DAB splitter as i understand it .

deMort said:
tob_today said:

From reading this .. you unplug the amplifier then attach this unit to the existing wire from the windscreen ..

This item is whats used for fitting a PCCM .. the classic Porsche aftermarket radio ... at least it is on the 996 model as i've fitted these and recognise it .

It's a DAB splitter as i understand it .

Hi deMort,

Is it safe to say that you can leave the connector box next to the windscreen under the dash top and connect the "new" cable to the aerial? Then you just need to disconnect the power feed to the aerial booster?

I have recently fitted a Blaupunkt Bremen SQR 46, which has DAB. I haven't connected the stick on DAB aerial (don't like the idea of that) so would the same "fix" work for this radio in your opinion?

Thanks for any advice feedback.

ATB :)

I'm not an expert on these im afraid and was merely reading what rob_watti had posted and using that to answer the following question ..

But yes .. you don't have to remove the power antenna part of this .. you need to disconnect the windscreen wire and plug into that .. parts that rob_watti posted will be needed along with a dab based radio that this can connect to .

He said he has excellent reception so this would seem like an ideal solution to those not wanting a separate antenna on the screen .

I've not yet fitted this but after fitting the PCCM on 996 then it all makes sense to me .

I'm using the windscreen aerial. The by pass cable connects from the new aerial splitter to the windscreen aerial connector

tob_today said:

Thanks rob_watti and deMort. I'm now wondering why my installer said I can only use stick-on aerials for DAB reception. My 993 is away at the moment so I can't check the windscreen, although I know it was replaced by previous owner a few years ago.

Is there an obvious way to check a windscreen for the in-built aerial? Is there a line down middle of screen or similar?

Yes a line down the middle of the windscreen. Also if you pop the clock out you can see the windscreen aerial wire behind there. I'm not sure of a way to test it is good or not to be honest.

tob_today said:
Thanks rob_watti and deMort. I'm now wondering why my installer said I can only use stick-on aerials for DAB reception. My 993 is away at the moment so I can't check the windscreen, although I know it was replaced by previous owner a few years ago.

Is there an obvious way to check a windscreen for the in-built aerial? Is there a line down middle of screen or similar?

rob_watti said:
Yes a line down the middle of the windscreen. Also if you pop the clock out you can see the windscreen aerial wire behind there. I'm not sure of a way to test it is good or not to be honest.
Fantastic thanks, fingers crossed mine also has the line & I'll get my installer to change it as I'm really not a fan of the stick-on aerials personally.

As my 993 is currently with Steve at JAZ, I talked to him today and pointed him to this thread. He's confirmed my car has the integrated windscreen aerial and he's going to follow these steps for my headunit set-up while the car is there. Will be great to have DAB finally working. Saves me a trip back to my installer.

Thanks for sharing :thumb:

rob_watti said:

tob_today said:

The only test i can think of would be to connect a radio and drive the car .. if you have a strong radio station that does not drop out its good .

A very crude check .. if a milky white patch on the screen in the bottom right corner then water has got in and possibly corroded the antenna wire .

Hats off to rob_watti here as this is a very good solution i feel .. i also hate the Dab antennas .

Well I bought a splitter of Amazon, disconnected the live to the aerial booster and connected up the splitter for the DAB. No joy didn't work so all back to stock. :x

Attachments

• dab_aerial_833.jpg
    dab_aerial_833.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 1,987
decgraham said:
Well I bought a splitter of Amazon, disconnected the live to the aerial booster and connected up the splitter for the DAB. No joy didn't work so all back to stock. :x

This post is actually about the classic head units and nothing else ..

I've been told though that the items listed here might work for non classic radios ..

What you bought and fitted is in no way the same as the correct Porsche items required .. if you wish to attempt this then the porsche items are needed and not some very cheap aftermarket crap unit .

Image below of one part .

Up To you if you want to spend the money and take a chance on whatever radio you have .. but for some .. this does work .

:)

Attachments

• p3_133_100.jpg
    p3_133_100.jpg
    540.2 KB · Views: 1,646

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back