Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Classic Radio - thoughts

I'll take that as a compliment 🤔

I have just installed a Blaupunkt Frankfurt RCM 82 DAB and it was a doddle to do as the two Porsche multi plugs fit without modification. Blaupunkt say the Bremen was re-designed for '70's and 80's cars whilst the Frankfurt is aimed at '90's and 'noughties' cars as per original fitment. They took feedback about the Bremen and worked to give the Frankfurt a more quality feel with precise buttons, better plastics and a volume control that does not wiggle. Both the Bremen and the Frankfurt share many of the same features and the sound quality is very good indeed once you have 'tuned' the audio from Factory settings. I like the bigger buttons on the Frankfurt as it make the unit easier to use whilst driving.

Note: The Frankfurt will only support iPod's with the lightning connector (e.g. Touch 5th Gen onwards) not the older iPod's with the 30 pin connector.
The Bremen does not support hi-res audio (FLAC), only MP3, WMA

eDLahFO.jpg

This is an original 1990's Frankfurt RCM 82 for comparison:
MzBHLVx.jpg

Just realized I can charge my phone from the Frankfurt front USB socket and with a short cable it reaches the phone on the Rennlist magnetic mount. Not fast charging but at least it charges when the radio is on, regardless of ignition switch.
8EJaQgt.jpg

Personally I will still use the USB socket I installed under the ashtray as it fast charges although that socket is ignition switched.

Blaupunkt Customer Service have confirmed the USB sockets are limited to a maximum of 800ma each. That is good enough to charge devices if they are not in use or keep the battery static if they are in use.

I've opted for the new retro Blaupinkt Frankfurt , had the Bremen in my last 993 , found the switch gear very fussy and difficult , this is much better and it's a direct copy of the original Porsche unit the car wa optioned with

Attachments

• 51pwo4lbgtl_ac_sl1200__118.jpg
    51pwo4lbgtl_ac_sl1200__118.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 328
Wanting better radio reception I thought about a DAB receiver. At present have a simple black Blaupunkt FM receiver but reception is wanting.

So after a tryout with Internet radio I now have this bluetoothed into the head unit. Excellent reception on a recent trip to Devon.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pands
Back