Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Modified Turbo owners. How much hp is enough ?

mavster

Montreal
I have the modding bug. I've had a few modified 911's over the last few years.

I had a 1000 hp Turbo, it was too much power to keep a leash on most of the time.

For those of you that have modified 997 TT, what would you say is the best level of wheel horse power (whp) to get the best possible performance while keeping the spirit and drive of the 997 Turbo/S in tact? I'm looking for the best A and B road driving experience. :)

... Obviously suspension, gearbox etc would also need to be sorted to cope with the power. I know 1000hp+ is too much, and turns the car into a drag monster. :)

Merry X mas everyone

Are you after max speed or acceleration. If the latter forget power and look for torque, turbos are good at this!

I'm not talking about top speed, as 200mph+ isn't really safe anywhere. I'm after the fastest manageable 997 Turbo on the road from point A to B.

Its not really about power its about drivability. On a 997 its whether you stick to VTGS or switch them out for bigger conventional turbos but if you do switch you lose a wide powerband with your current VTGs which have a mountain of torque between 2200rpm and 6750rpm. Conventional big turbos move this power band to 4500 rpm to 6750rpm which means you really have to be more circumspect when overtaking on a typical b road but on track these bigger turbos would be far better.

I'm at roughly crank 650-700 bhp on 99 octane and 750-800 bhp on MS109 race fuel. I think the 997 turbo chassis is at its most fun when at 800bhp so thats 670whp but you're risking your engine without internal mods which any good tuner can recommend.

We have a 991 ts too. Wouldn't bother tuning its faster than our manual 997 turbo real world with PDK etc. Not sure I'd bother with a 997 turbo s either.

Hi IMI A,
How are you ?

Yes I think I agree. I'm still VTG and 650-700 hp at the crank and 900NM. It's very driveable still, I was wondering if upgrading to 750-800 hp would be worthwhile.

Well thanks. I don't think you need more than that if only for road use. I find 800bhp a bit too mad on road. Then there's the cost to do 800bhp properly without blowing up engine. On yours you'd go Dodson clutch set, rods, pistons, headstuds, and meth? I think you're in the sweet spot before costs spiral for diminishing returns ;)

The engine and gearbox is already strengthened fortunately, on mine. It probably just needs a swap out to DR750 VTG's for the next stage. As you say though, possibly too much grunt for A and B road blasts. On my previous 996TT, I had to always be in 4th or 5th, else it would prolly have killed me :(

TBH honest if you want to go faster hard to look past a 992 turbo s for me. They have fallen to £130k ish and continue to fall. If you haven't seen the Ben Collins YouTube of 992 turbo s v a manual 997.2 turbo well worth a watch. A real eye opener ;)

Last edited:
Yeah I saw that. Do you think there would still be a massive gap if the 997 was tuned & modified to the same power as the 992 ?

I saw the carwow 911 Turbo generation drag race vid by Mat Watson too. I was expecting the 991 and 992 to massively gap the 997, but it looked quite close (relatively speaking) on the drag race.

You should maybe offer your tuned 997 turbo s with PDK to Ben Collins to set a lap and we can find out.

Should certainly be closer with yours however stock v stock a 10.4 sec gap on a 2.3 mile circuit (1:25 vs 1:36) as per the vlog very impressive. The guy that developed the 992 turbo s a superstar at Porsche and also did the 918 he wanted to give the final 911 turbo pre electric era a really special send off ; )

Not much in it between 991.2 turbo s and 992 turbo s though. Ring time 7.17 v 7.16. Pretty much the same at most other tracks on this match up. I think the 992 turbo s will really come into its own when it goes hybrid which is what its been designed for from the outset.

Nürburgring Nordschleife:
  • 991.2 Turbo S: 7:17.11 (Sport Auto)
  • 992 Turbo S: 7:16.04 (Sport Auto)
Laguna Seca:
  • 991.2 Turbo S: 1:16.34 (Randy Pobst)
  • 992 Turbo S: 1:16.19 (Randy Pobst)
Spa-Francorchamps:
  • 991.2 Turbo S: 2:18.80 (Sport Auto)
  • 992 Turbo S: 2:18.30 (Sport Auto)
Suzuka Circuit:
  • 991.2 Turbo S: 2:08.40 (Sport Auto)
  • 992 Turbo S: 2:07.80 (Sport Auto)