Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Major service - what are "lubricants"?

kp278

Monza
Hi, had a major service, plug change and gearbox oil change at Northway and naturally paid the invoice without checking it. There's a £74 charge for lubricants, even though I supplied engine and gearbox oil - what would it be for? I'll call them tomorrow but can save face if it's something obvious I'm missing!

It's payment for the lube they used when they shafted you.

Alex said:

And despite the high charges imposed by OPC servicing they still don't use enough of the stuff as the pain is there when paying the bill. :bandit:

Imagine if you'd taken it to Joskin Motors:

The largest bill for fictitious work carried out on a woman's car by garage mechanics was one of £6322.88 charged by Joskin Bros. Motors Ltd. of Stevenage. Calling in for a routine service on her one year old Peugot 305, Mrs. June Spears agreed to pay for, amongst other things, new trumpets (£752), cracked Gangle pin (£1785), realignment of main glib shaft (£2268), new grommets (£112), set of hexagonal Tag nuts and dangleberry adapter (£35) and new piss-take valves (£120). No work was actually carried out on the car during the six weeks it spent at the garage but 4000 miles was put on the clock and she later received a speeding summons from Italian police.

Alex said:

Sounds about right - I thought Porsche ownership was all about bending over

Northway is an independent and quite a respected one from reading this forum and pistonheads. Fixed price servicing @£465 (+vat) for major inc spark plugs looked comparatively reasonable when shopping around. I figured lubricants would usually be engine oil etc but surprised no-one knows for sure. I'll report back when I've spoken to them

kp278 said:
Northway is an independent and quite a respected one from reading this forum and pistonheads. Fixed price servicing @£465 (+vat) for major inc spark plugs looked comparatively reasonable when shopping around. I figured lubricants would usually be engine oil etc but surprised no-one knows for sure. I'll report back when I've spoken to them

Some funny replies, but yes I'd assume engine lubricant - i.e. engine oil, but would also cover any greases used, or any others changes. There's not much on these cars past engine oil really, but other makes may need brake calliper grease, or they may use a bit of copperslip grease when refitting the wheels etc...

I used Northway for years and found them to be excellent. It's probably a simple error, and they omitted to deduct their normal charge for lubricants, given that the OP had supplied his own? A quick phone call will correct it I'm sure.

I've noticed many seem to be making a lot of these 'simple errors'. One thing that grates me is doing other people's work for them at your own expense, regardless of what the cost was. Nothing more than sloppy.

Alex said:

Brilliant.

I'd imagine it's probably some sort of error but worth chasing it up. They're not really the kind of people that are going to try and diddle you for 70 quid. I know when I dropped in there to check on an engine light they were crazy busy. Sounds like every indie is that I've spoken to recently...

Let us know how you get on.

'Nothing more than sloppy' could also apply to not checking an invoice when it's presented for payment? Some would also say that providing one's own oil, or other parts, unless they're particularly special, is an affront to many businesses. But I agree the invoice needs to be prepared correctly. That is certainly the garage's responsibility.....

Paul Farrar said:
'Nothing more than sloppy' could also apply to not checking an invoice when it's presented for payment

Exactly, that's what I said - having to do other people's work for them. Checking your invoice is your responsibility, them getting it right in the first place is their's. No ownership & accountability these days and all it does is create non value added work for both parties. :nooo:

Major includes brake fluid and possibly top up coolant and screen wash.

Daylight robbery really.

I spoke to them, admin error and they are refunding. Good point on the top ups but even for those it seemed steep!

I discussed at length about the oil they use and if I supplied my own, they were pretty relaxed, the chap said he used Millers in his own so doesnt blame his customers for doing the same

Result :thumbs:

I hope you billed them for your time.......or at least a discount come next service. :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back