Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Is it possible to move steering wheel closer to driver 997?

isysman

Daytona
So in my 997 the thing that bugs me the most after driving my newer cars is that I can't pull the steering wheel as close as in my Spyder or Macan. When turning I often hit my knee and I just feel I have to reach too far. (I'm quite tall 190cm.

Anyone know without changing the wheel is there a way to fix this?

I found the same problem (192cm) and not easy to resolve with the stock 997 manual 3 spoke sport wheel.
I had a 3" spacer made by these guys in Italy; https://www.girol.it/en/
Can't see anything on their website now, I think maybe the guy was an enthusiast and just made them there, maybe there are alternatives now.
Can't remember all the details but it came with a wiring extension, works and looks ok.
The stalks are a long way from the wheel rim though so you need long fingers as well as legs, I don't have it fully extended and can fit both legs straight ahead under the wheel.
BTW I think there is a difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2 splines or something.

Thanks for that. It never used to bother me too much but as I've been driving the newer cars which have better adjustment it's just reminded me of this issue again.

Yes that's the same one, he told me they were going to improve the splines but the old one worked fine for me.
Makes a big difference and a bit cheaper than 4 years ago as well.

I have one too, it has been a great addition despite the stretch to the indicators, but you get used to that.

Re: Is it possible to move steering wheel closer to driver 9

isysman said:
So in my 997 the thing that bugs me the most after driving my newer cars is that I can't pull the steering wheel as close as in my Spyder or Macan. When turning I often hit my knee and I just feel I have to reach too far. (I'm quite tall 190cm.

Anyone know without changing the wheel is there a way to fix this?

Don't take offence but have you made sure you've really pulled the steering wheel as far forward as it'll go?

My build is long legs, short body so I need to sit far enough away to get my legs under the steering wheel but then need it to come out far enough so mu hands don't hit my knees. I thought I'd pulled the steering wheel out as far as it would go but really gave it a good pull and out it came quite a bit more and suddenly I'm able to get the driving position I'd wanted since buying the car almost 2 years ago. No more driving with my legs splayed out and actually thinking that maybe this 007 isn't for me. Hard to describe the difference it's made and now I'm REALLY enjoying the car.

So just make sure you've really pulled at the steering wheel as it might never have needed to be moved that far since it was first used and could just be a bit seized up. I know mine was.

Hopefully you'll have the same outcome as me.

Cheers!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back