Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Is an RS America a poor mans RS or as good as the real deal

pirellipete

Barcelona
Cos for £20K, I'd buy this and ship it over

1993 Porsche RS America, 17th ever made (out of 701 total), just turned 78,000 miles. Factory rolled fenders, with only 2 options: A/C and stereo. NO SUNROOF. Open differential. I have a Porsche OEM factory G50 LSD that I will include with the sale and the buyer can install it at their discretion.

Cosmetic condition is rough. The hood and roof have tiny cracks in the paint, because the car spent a couple of summers uncovered in the sun in Georgia. There is also a dent in the driver side rear quarter panel above the wheel well. Easily repairable. There is no rust! A respray will make that car a concourse winner!

Superb mechanical condition, everything works as it should. The engine does not leak or use oil. It pulls very hard and the torque is phenomenal!

Recent maintenance:
Idle Stabilization Valve cleaned - 300 miles
Oil change - (Brad Penn 20W-50 + OEM filter) - 600 miles
Brake rotors front and rear - 700 miles (still have the "Made In Germany" stickers on the rotor hats)
Brake pads front and rear - OEM Textar - 700 miles
Brake fluid - ATE Blue Racing - 700 miles
New Bosch OEM O2 Sensor - 700 miles
New Tires - Michelin Pilot Sport - 1000 miles
New Distributor cap and rotors - OEM Porsche - 1,500 miles
New Fuel filter - OEM Mahle - 3,000 miles
Cup Clutch & Light Weight Flywheel - 3,000 miles

Upgrades:
TPC supercharger installed at 66,000 miles at the cost of $9,307
Solid Motor Mounts
Cup Clutch and Light Weight Flywheel at 75,000 miles!
Custom high flow exhaust with dual outlets
Porsche Brembo 993TT "Big Yellow" brakes
H&R Red springs on Porsche Sport M030 shocks
Recaro Pole Position race seats with FIA stamps dated May 2007
G-Force 6-point harnesses with stamps dated October 2007
DAS Sport roll bar for a non-sunroof coupe (painted orange)
Fire extinguisher system
Tech-Art front chin spoiler
Front air ducts
Factory Porsche OEM Cup I wheels (painted orange)
Aluminum racing pedals
Radio Delete (will include aftermarket stereo and amp that came with the car)
A/C Delete (will include A/C compressor, etc.)

History of the car: Originally purchased in Maryland in 1993. Moved to Georgia in 1999. Then New York in 2006. Used at several Driver Education events with the Porsche Club of America in 2007. No racing history.

The car comes with all original books and manuals and maintenance history starting in 2002 (over $26,000 in receipts from maintenance and upgrades).

PRICE: $36,000.

This car needs nothing and is ready to go as is. It is a truly special car - powerful and reliable, it will not disappoint. This is the lowest-priced RS America on the market. Everything else you see on Ebay or rsamerica.net is at least $10,000 more. You're looking at a very limited production classic car that will only continue to appreciate in value.

The car is located in Hunter, NY.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/500930.htm

Thread Updated by MOD

Attachments

• 500930_5_826.jpg
    500930_5_826.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 5,572
  • 500930_4_211.jpg
    500930_4_211.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 5,572
  • 500930_2_958.jpg
    500930_2_958.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 5,572
  • 500930_1_469.jpg
    500930_1_469.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 5,572
The simple answer is no it's not. The RSA is little more than a C2 with an RS badge, slight interior strip out, Sports (M030) suspension and a fixed spoiler. However, this car and the owner (Ilko) are well known and well regarded on Rennlist. It's been nicely modified and should be pretty quick with the supercharger. Personally I think it would be bags of fun at the price and have a nice rarity value over here. But I've no idea how much extra it would cost to ship it over :?:

Pete,

This car is well known on Rennlist and the owner (ilko) has posted lots about it.

To answer your specific question, the RS America is nothing like a "real" RS. It has (or at least, did have) the standard 250bhp engine compared to the RS's 260, it doesn't have the seam welded shell and the suspension is not RS - in ride height or springing.

One curious thing about the advert is that it said it had air conditioning - but there is no evidence of an air con compressor on the engine shots. You might ask ilko about that.

Given that it's got the supercharger fitted it'sll obviously go pretty well and the price it pretty good. I've no idea what the shipping/import charges might be though.

Regards

Dave

shipping (RO-RO) is likely to be around a grand, depending on where you ship from. I have a contact in texas who used to ship to the UK for around £500, however he charges ontop of that for collecting the car for you from anywhere in the US.. I think the total, landed in the UK (with no US actions on your part) would be IRO a thousand quid

import is the stinger; there is a duty to be paid, plus an import tax, plus VAT. the import tax can be reduced and the VAT can go as low as zero, depending on the age and rarity of the car.. The rarity is based on rarity in the UK, and so you might be able to make a big song and dance about it being an "RS america" and that its prob the only one here, and so get around a lot of the additional charges..

there are quite a few details on the DVLA website if you want some more info about the charges.. if you are serious about buying it and want some good contacts for shipping let me know; I have friends who ship classic cars over from the US all the time so can forward their recommendations

Although not a euro spec RS, you are still getting a lot of car for the money, depending on how the supercharger is geared you could be looking at 350-400hp(8 psi would give you approx 360). Thats a lot of bang for the buck, and looking at the list of mods, it's hardly likely to be heavy. A 20ft shipping container is approx a grand. Normally if you register the vehicle and keep it a minimum of 12 months from date of reg in UK you don't pay vat. But check up on that as I haven't bought a car into the UK for 7 years now and the rules may have changed.

Max

I had hoped it was an 'RS' like what we have over here.

Yea, its still a lot of car for the money, but I can't justify it as my 'second' porsche, (Pretentious, moi)?? even what would obviously be a fantastic trackday car, but would've sold the wife's soul for a real one at that price.

Thanks for the spec info, this site always amazes me, and never lets you down,

cheers

demonfish said:
mmmmm supercharger

It must be fate, Matt. This month's 911 &Porsche World, page 107. RPM Technik are advertising that same blower with a 10% discount if you have it fitted before the end on June and if you order it before 6th June.

sadly i don't think i'd get a 65" plasma in it!!

or even a 26 lol

purely out of interest... how much was it?

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike 964 speedster
Back