Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Inside a 986 Tip multifunction switch, pictures.

berni29

Paul Ricard
Hi

The "multifunction" switch that goes on the side of the 986 Tip's gearbox often malfunctions. I replaced mine this weekend, but when I was looking into the subject I could find very little information on it's workings and no pictures whatsover of the insides.

So here are some of my old one. It may not be an original Porsche one, I could not easily tell. I have pulled the lever off the spindle and turned it upside down for the photos.

You can see that it is lightly constructed IMHO, and on this one one of the contacts seems to have lost it's end and sits lower than the others. I guess that this caused my issues and some carefully placed solder could have fixed it?

As an aside, I used to get flashing P & D & 4 lights, plus just flashing D sometimes, limp mode, and no fault codes on the Durametric. But I found through trial and error that if I cleared the non existent code then it cleared the fault until next time, which could be a day or 5 minutes.

All the best

Berni

Attachments

• img_6181_160.jpg
    img_6181_160.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3,489
  • img_6182_114.jpg
    img_6182_114.jpg
    567.2 KB · Views: 3,488
  • img_6183_166.jpg
    img_6183_166.jpg
    503.2 KB · Views: 3,488
I took one of these appart many years ago as i was curious .. yup thats what it looks like .. no wonder it can give issues .. look at some of the wire colours let alone the contacts .. copper should be copper in colour lol .

Thinking back now ... im guessing ive changed about 30 of these since i started on Porsche in 2004 .. not a huge amount but im just 1 mechanic :)

Its still a work of art in the mechanics world .. electro mechanical is what i would call it .. far different from control units and switch packs of today but clever for what it is and what they could do at the time .

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pands
Back