Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Airbag Light

MeltonMowbray

Trainee
Hello 911UK!

A new one on me the other day - airbag warning light has clicked on. I turned off briefly and restarted and light was still there. I drove the car around 5 miles home then switched her off.

A few hours later I dug out my basic code reader - but no fault codes were showing. I've not had a chance to restart the car (don't want to annoy the neighbours) to check if it's still illuminated.

Do I need a special reader to pull the code if it's airbag related? Or has it somehow cleared itself (ideal, but unlikely)

Only thing I can think of that could have agitated anything is that I've been in and out of the back a few times lately, seems seat airbag connections can go from a quick bit of Googling. Fault code needed before going any further I think.

Thank you

In order to identify what's triggered your airbag lamp, you'll need to retrieve the fault code(s) from the Airbag Control Unit. Basic OBD2 code readers tend to only retrieve codes relating to the engine and its emission control system.

A more sophisticated OBD reader is able to find all the control modules in the car. See attachment.

Once the lamp is on, it can only be turned off with a tester. It never resets itself. Also, whilst the lamp is on, I understand the whole airbag system is de-activated because it's faulty.

Have a look at this previous post on the subject.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=145919&sid=d2067a16e3d72777439fec759df3f4e1

Attachments

• check_airbag_faults_621.jpg
    check_airbag_faults_621.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 1,242
P9XX said:
In order to identify what's triggered your airbag lamp, you'll need to retrieve the fault code(s) from the Airbag Control Unit. Basic OBD2 code readers tend to only retrieve codes relating to the engine and its emission control system.

A more sophisticated OBD reader is able to find all the control modules in the car. See attachment.

Once the lamp is on, it can only be turned off with a tester. It never resets itself. Also, whilst the lamp is on, I understand the whole airbag system is de-activated because it's faulty.

Have a look at this previous post on the subject.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=145919&sid=d2067a16e3d72777439fec759df3f4e1

Thank you for confirming that - I have seen that thread, so appreciate the code is key.

Do you know how I can identify which OBD2 reader would work? My one is a very cheap amazon option. Prices seem to vary quite widely!

pm sent

P9XX said:

P9XX - I don't seem to have any messages? I may be looking in the wrong place though

Having a more comprehensive browse of Amazon it looks like I might need SRS enabled reader. Again prices vary.

PM sent, successfully this time!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoochyTM
Back