Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I have you now...

guyvert1

Spa-Francorchamps
So finally the day came on Friday when it was time to pickup my dream 997 Turbo :)

The car was more money than I was orginally looking to pay, but once I looked at what was on offer its was a no brainer. The OPC were carrying out a Major service,its very low mileage, 2yr warranty, over and above the spec I could ever wish for. So my man maths told me all I'm doing is paying forward.

OPC Perth from start to end have been superb. I was nervous buying the car blind, we all know the pitfalls and how much things can cost, so top marks for Ally/Hamish for ensuring they delivered the car they had promised.

My son joined me on the fun and games getting a flight up to Edinburgh and then onto the OPC.

When we finally arrived around 5pm I could see a car under cover in the main showroom , the excitement hit me, when they pulled off the cover I felt like a giggly child, I had all these plans to check loads of things, but ended up more like homer seeing his favourite food :)

The car was stunning, just like they'd promised, the best bit was as part of the prep. they had gone over and above in replacing the windscreen and tyres. :thumb:

Thankfully there was very little needed for me to get my cold sweaty hand on the keys and get the car and the road. (Apart from a quick peak and 'someones' 992 Turbo s, wow, it was huge compared to mine)

I'd booked a hotel near Fort William , needless to say the roads up there where ***** stunning, you lucky lucky buggers who live up that neck of the woods. OMG !!!

I drove about 200 miles all around there and the car felt so much better than expected. Havent had that much fun since my 993 Turbo. I can definately understand the statements about how they get better the faster you go, everything seems to just tighten up more, but also when going slower you can still feel everything. The 'old' porsche steering is what I've missing for so long. I love that taught almost torqued 'jiggy' feeling you get.

The noise makes me laugh, if you've never had a 911 I can imagine the 997 and older would worry some when you start them up, proper chorus of clattering, especially without an exhaust, but they smooth out to a classic tone you come to love.

On the way home over a few days we also drove through the Lake district, whilst not as stunning as further up North, the roads and scenery where still to die for.

800 odd miles later we're finally home, very very happy and definately bonded with the car.

I'm crap at remembering to take pictures, especially as I just wanted to keep driving, so here's a couple I think show why I'm chuffed as f**k :D

Attachments

• img_8632_207.jpg
    img_8632_207.jpg
    857 KB · Views: 1,212
  • img_1334_494.jpg
    img_1334_494.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,212
  • img_1337_124.jpg
    img_1337_124.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,212
Beautiful car, congrats. Scenery looks equally amazing.

:welcome: back to the turbo club. :thumb:

Good Luck keeping it as clean as it looks now. :grin:

Sooooperb, Very typical Scottish weather, you will have had the roads to yourself :thumb: Thanks so much for sharing, your story brightened my day... Gotta love that Scottish mist... :)

Congrats, loving the silver highlights in the grill

Congrats, welcome to the turbo club.

Silver grills and silver mirror bottoms! Was that an option?

Lovely! :thumb:

Congratulations, you appear to have picked fine example :)

isysman said:
Congrats, welcome to the turbo club.

Silver grills and silver mirror bottoms! Was that an option?

That's the 'Alu pack' option .....I suppose alludes to aluminium colour contrast ...I had it on my turbo S , didn't realise it was available on the Gen 1 .... nice though ... as is the car as a whole .....

guyvert1 said:
So finally the day came on Friday when it was time to pickup my dream 997 Turbo :)

The car was more money than I was orginally looking to pay, but once I looked at what was on offer its was a no brainer. The OPC were carrying out a Major service,its very low mileage, 2yr warranty, over and above the spec I could ever wish for. So my man maths told me all I'm doing is paying forward.

OPC Perth from start to end have been superb. I was nervous buying the car blind, we all know the pitfalls and how much things can cost, so top marks for Ally/Hamish for ensuring they delivered the car they had promised.

My son joined me on the fun and games getting a flight up to Edinburgh and then onto the OPC.

When we finally arrived around 5pm I could see a car under cover in the main showroom , the excitement hit me, when they pulled off the cover I felt like a giggly child, I had all these plans to check loads of things, but ended up more like homer seeing his favourite food :)

The car was stunning, just like they'd promised, the best bit was as part of the prep. they had gone over and above in replacing the windscreen and tyres. :thumb:

Thankfully there was very little needed for me to get my cold sweaty hand on the keys and get the car and the road. (Apart from a quick peak and 'someones' 992 Turbo s, wow, it was huge compared to mine)

I'd booked a hotel near Fort William , needless to say the roads up there where ***** stunning, you lucky lucky buggers who live up that neck of the woods. OMG !!!

I drove about 200 miles all around there and the car felt so much better than expected. Havent had that much fun since my 993 Turbo. I can definately understand the statements about how they get better the faster you go, everything seems to just tighten up more, but also when going slower you can still feel everything. The 'old' porsche steering is what I've missing for so long. I love that taught almost torqued 'jiggy' feeling you get.

The noise makes me laugh, if you've never had a 911 I can imagine the 997 and older would worry some when you start them up, proper chorus of clattering, especially without an exhaust, but they smooth out to a classic tone you come to love.

On the way home over a few days we also drove through the Lake district, whilst not as stunning as further up North, the roads and scenery where still to die for.

800 odd miles later we're finally home, very very happy and definately bonded with the car.

I'm crap at remembering to take pictures, especially as I just wanted to keep driving, so here's a couple I think show why I'm chuffed as f**k :D

Great to see the Turbo in its natural (Scottish version) habitat ....Mountain and Mist ......fantastic ...

The shot with Buachaille Etive Mà²r in the background is classic and one I snapped every time I have a new car and it's my screen saver for ages after ......!

Smiles on every mile I shall guess !

Well done OP...

That sure is a beauty.
Well done for making the collection experience a memorable one. You have racked up nearly as many miles as i have managed in the last 4 1/2 years!
I like the silver accents which i have not seen on a turbo before
:thumb:

Guys,

Thanks for the kind words, waking up this morning and seeing it on the drive, its all a bit surreal.

Whilst sorting out my pics, I found another half decent one, also found one of my long lost and sooo missed 993... :bow:

Attachments

• p1020217_616.jpg
    p1020217_616.jpg
    969.6 KB · Views: 932
  • img_1340_103.jpg
    img_1340_103.jpg
    489.1 KB · Views: 932

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member