Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

how many owners is too many owners

A993LAD said:
I am quite surprised a dealer would refuse a PPI so I can see why you are worried about that.

The suggestion that they prefer to mark their own homework should also give you less confidence rather than more confidence in my view.

If I was in your shoes I would just tell them I am a serious buyer and I'm interested in buying the car but only if I can get it inspected.
+1

putting the question out there.. how many previous owners has your 993 had?

i was the 4th on my last 993

From 15 June 1995 until 23 Sept 2004, my 993 Carrera 4 coupe has had seven former keepers.

Since that date I have been the only keeper.

To many, it's an itched scratched and after a year or so it no longer itches :)

Doesn't mean they haven't thrown money at it. I sold mine after three years, having spent a fair whack on it because it no longer thrilled me. It was a car I'd lusted over for years though and I was only the third owner.

Itch scratched and I doubt I'll ever buy another Porsche. Off loading my 968 if I can find a buyer too.

Number of owners doesn't mean it hasn't been cared for but more chance of an unsympathetic owner increases the more it has had.

Going back over a lifetime involved with Porsche's I have found that cars with multiple owners are often in better condition than those with few but new owners still prefer as few owners as possible.

If the one or two owners were short and light (even female), drove sensibly, paid for good servicing etc then that is not too bad although if you own a car for too long you often get used to small problems that others might fix.

But if the one or two owners didn't look after the car, were tall and heavy, thrashed it from cold etc - then that would be bad news.

Cars with lots of owners have often been prepared for sale by businesses, or private individuals - multiple times when paintwork, tyres, services etc have been serviced more often (as a result) and are often better mechanically. as a result.

Furthermore a car with lots of owners averages out the aggressive and careful drivers and minimises the risks.

Mileages can also be misleading. Low mileages because owners didn't drive the cars regularly and then only for short journeys - spend more time cold and on choke and will be in worse mechanical condition than those with high mileages that were accumulated in long journeys on motorways.

Averall this is why experienced Porsche sales businesses learn the difference when they get in and drive a car of erred to them for sale and can tell the difference between a good and bad car regardless of the number of owners or mileage.

But the public are their own worst enemy and still will prefer a low mileage low owner car - even though they don't have the experience to tell the difference between the condition they are in.

The best advice is to try at least 10 similar cars of high and low mileage and few and many owners and you will usually find a brilliant one, a terrible one and several in between.

The really good higher mileage multiple owner car will be much cheaper and therefore a bargain. The really good low owner low mileage car will keep its value longer and higher but cost more initially.

The other safeguard is to find a trustworthy seller with a perfet reputation and follow their advice.

Hope this helps.

Baz

Great advice Baz as usual :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravioli
Back