Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help Please - Heat Shield Studs Sheared

Sparkchap

Both my heat shields have rotted through around the flange nuts that hold them to the body. In a attempt to remove the nuts, some of the studs have sheared off! I am thinking of drilling them out and replacing with self tapping screws and use large penny washers to hold the shield.

Has anyone a more elegant solution?

TIA

PS the blue paint is the underside of the body engine mount brackets that needed some TLC.

Attachments

• img_6636_333.jpg
    img_6636_333.jpg
    810.8 KB · Views: 919
What RUDDY has posted is certainly going to be an excellent option .. a bit on the expensive side though if you don't have that kit .

A rivnut set would be the next stage down from that but it would be a bolt instead of a nut afterwards .

I have seen other people here mention a glued on version of these that will also do the job .. i believe MC has used this type before .

I personally can't see anything wrong with the self tapping screw idea though and its one i have used in the past .

What it looks like is a bit irrelevant to me to be honest .. it's a cheap option that will certainly do the job .

[img[/img]

Attachments

• img_2448_207.jpg
    img_2448_207.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 725
  • img_2448_207.jpg
    img_2448_207.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 725
jl-c said:

Excellent .. the glue is important though .. we use a 2 pack wurth glue at work but anything strong will do .. mainly .. don't over tighten and make sure the bonding surface is clean .

jl-c :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back