Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help needed understanding aftermarket amp cabling & sett

Space Cadet

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi, am working through the existing aftermarket hi-fi fitted to my car - there are original Porsche speakers in the back which appear to be working fine as I can turn the fader and balance to each one individually.

There are then uprated Morel Maximo 4" (hadn't heard of them) in the dashboard, which again seem to be working fine.

There are then some sort of bass woofers in the doors, although possibly the driver's side isn't working brilliantly....

The head-unit is a single-din aftermarket Alpine, haven't had it out yet to examine exactly what outputs are connected to it.

I had the frunk trim all apart at the weekend though and found a Herts Power 4 Amp (again hadn't heard of them), but what surprised me is that its being fed by 2 phono-cables, rather than 3 (for all 6 speakers) and also the settings on the amp.

Is someone more knowledgeable than me in amps please able to make sense of what has been done?

Am I right in thinking perhaps the head-unit will be powering the rear speakers by itself and then its sending signals down the 2 phono-cables to the amp for the dashboard and the doors. The amp then thinks the "FRONT" signal is the doors because the filter marked for the FRONT is set to "LO" and the "REAR" signal is the dashboard because the filter is set to "HI".

Did that all make sense?

Is this the normal way of doing it - where the head-unit powers the rear and then an amp powers the dashboard and doors?

I'm genuinely just thinking of removing the amp and door woofers (or possibly replacing these with full-range speakers as well as the dashboard and rears) and just powering a set of 'normal' but decent 4" in the rear and dashboard from an imminent new head-unit. Or possibly running the dashboard and rear speakers from the new head-unit and then leaving the amp to power a set of new 'woofers' in the doors. I often have my 2 young boys in the car and my days of installs and multiple amps and 1000 speakers ae over....

Thanks

Attachments

• a3_920.jpg
    a3_920.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 522
  • a2_181.jpg
    a2_181.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 522

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members