Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

HEADLAMP WASHERS ISSUE

Yeh i should manage to get it done tomorrow Thanks man. :thumb:

OK now its just weird.
Tested the earth which is fine.
Tested the power with the pump connected still nothing .
For some reason now when I operate the windscreen washers I get both windscreen washers and headlight washers at the same time .I hope things aint getting worse.

:?:

Demort Ive been told to try bridging the relay to bypass the control can you confirm which terminals/wire colours from your diagram to connect together please.

Sounds like a switch fault atm .. but needs to be proved.

If you want to bridge any 4 pin relay then its terminals 87 and 30 you link .. thats the main switching feed into the relay and the output to what ever item its connected to.

85/86 are the feed for the relay and the switch .. in this case headlight washer switch .

Both washers at the same time is not something ive seen but im guessing at the switch .. hmm actually .. 997 .. it will run via the steering column control unit .. this might be a software fault .

If you operate the headlamp washer switch then does it work ? or is it only with the windscreen washer switch ?

Opps almost forgot .. diagram lists the colours as red/grey and red .. i would go by the pin numbers though .. theres a picture on the side of the relay that shows how it works .

The washers all only come on with the windscreen washers and only for a short burst ,so if you keep the stalk pulled the washers only ru for a second or two I'm not sure if this is correct for the windscreen.

yep only work when windscreen washers operated.

If i link 87 and 30 relay removed of course should the headlight washers work :?:

Aghh that might be the normal operation .. it will say in your handbook .

And yes the headlight washers should work if you bridge those terminals .

If not then there either no main feed to the relay or the wire to the pump is broken ..

If they work then either the ignition feed to the relay to operate it or the earth from the switch is missing .

Do you log on at 7pm and wait for an answer lol .. most people dont reply untill after i have logged out :D

Basic relay operation for you ..

Attachments

• relaydiagram_595.gif
    relaydiagram_595.gif
    7.4 KB · Views: 2,842
Lol , im not doing anything intentionally its all coincidence .Im off work at the mo so just trying to get to the bottom of what i thought was going to be a simple fix
Do you have your own business garage i can bring it too lol . :thumb:

Oh yeh thanks for all your help you must be getting fed up of me lol

Im a mechanic at an indy .. but a long way from you .. im in sussex .

I also dont say where i work , im here in my own time to help out :)

Also its no problem .. i help as much as i can either here or via PM .. and i get a few of those lol .

Cheers man your a saint.
I will remove the relay tomorrow and link 87 and 30 and see what happens and then ask a load more stupid questions :worship:

Well i removed the relay again bridged terminals 87 an 30 headlights on engine running but still no response from the headlight washers. Im getting power permanently at terminal 30 though.

Thinking about it after replacing the relay i should have checked if was i getting power to 87 when the button was pushed.

Does the wire from 87 go straight to the pump uninterrupted

:?:

They still work all together on windscreen wash :grin:

Ok .. this dont make sense lol

If when you operate the washers the headlight washers work then the relay and all feeds etc are fine , the only difference is the switch to turn the relay on .. this gets a little complicated here .. ive just gone throught the wiring diagram to fully understand the system ( its not 100 % for your car as its an early version but should be the same ) ..

The switch that operates the relay .. headlamp washer switch sends a signal to the steering column control unit , that sends a can bus message to the vehicle electrical contol unit which sends a feed to the relay for the headlamp washers on terminal 86 .

Basically on terminal 86 you will get a feed when the washers are operated but it would appear not when the headlamp washers are operated .. so to me its a switch fault or a software fault and probably in the steering column control unit .

Thats not something you are going to diagnose at home .. trust me i would struggle there as i cant see can bus messages .. well none of us can actually :)

Can bus message is a binary signal the same as in an office pc network.

Now .. 87 is the output to the pump and 30 goes to fuse row B and fuse 4 .. at least according to the diagram .. so terminal 30 is ok .. 87 goes to the pump so if you bridge it to terminal 30 then you are sending a feed to the pump .. it should work .. you can check this by putting your meter on the pump with it bridged .. you should have a feed and an earth at the pump .. if you have then pump is faulty .. if not then either the earth or the wire from the relay is no good ..

Downside is as i said above if it works on washers then the whole relay side should be ok as its 2 different switches that operate it and only one seems to be working .

Me just checks how far away from me you are ..

Dam , yet again too far sigh .

Yeh I'm now confused easily done lol.
If I'm bridging the power 30 to 87 to feed the pump surely the pump should run no matter what unless the wire to the pump power is broken .

The pump is definitely not broken.

Yeh tested the earth from the pump to the chassis and its spot on i think i need to check the feed wire from the relay ,its it just a continuous wire to the pump from the relay.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andewcb
Back