Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hardback Seats & Recaros

hunter_a

I picked up a 1997 cab recently"”the driving has been great (although I hit a deer shortly after so the pictures I have to share are a little bit sad).

That said, I'm not getting on with the stock hardback seats, mainly because they're leather, but I'm also finding them a little unsupportive on long journeys.

I'm considering getting some Pole Positions: they're lighter, seem to have better support, and I can get them trimmed in leather on the bolsters and tartan fabric on the cushions.

My logic is that selling the stock seats might fund the Recaros and the upholstery work"”I don't have room for spare seats anyhow. Another option could be re-upholstering the stock seats (which are somewhat worn, especially driver's side), possibly with extra lumbar support. Something about modifying the shape of the stock seats makes me uncomfortable, though.

So, some questions:

• Am I crazy to sell the stock seats?
    Would the price of the stock seats cover the Recaros and upholstery work?
    Can you think of any other/better options?

Am I crazy to sell the stock seats?
In that they are perceived as the seats to have - maybe.

Would the price of the stock seats cover the Recaros and upholstery work?
Probably.

Can you think of any other/better options?
You might find someone with the earlier Sports seats (or whatever they are called) which are more comfortable, that someone might want to swap with you? You'd get "stock" (ish) comforable seats and they might want hardbacks. Don't know if that is a better option, but it is a thought.

The earlier 993 sports seats were made by Recaro for Porsche and are the wide bolster type that were first fitted in the 964 but the leather stitch pattern was slightly revised for 993. They are superb.

Your post will have upset the 993 Illuminati who view the Hard Back seats as the must have seat as everything else is inferior but correctly adduced they're not that comfortable for all body types. Hervé Villechaize will get away with them but Giant Haystacks wont :what:

I have a set of 964 wide bolster seats that were recovered in black leather with rails and electric 8-way motors. The plastic side trim and switch surrounds (all available from Porsche) have gone AWOL :roll: I'll take a monkey for each but you have to buy both.

Expect c£3k-5k for the HBs dependent on condition and colour.

Appreciate the input everyone.

To be fair, I found the hard backs much nicer than the ruffly ones (the one weak link in the first 993 I drove)... but the trip back on purchase day did make me suffer towards the end. I'm an average (dare I say athletic) build, but my lower back is 20 years older than the rest of me.

Maybe I do need to suck it up and upholster these with a little more padding in them, rather than going aftermarket.

For any prospective interest, though, they're black leather, the driver's side seat wants some love (split seams and someone seems to have restored the leather on the bolsters with only partial success), the passenger's side seat is okay. All the electronics are functional. The backs are like, grey-black, and have some marks. They've obviously been used, but they're in reasonable shape.

Attachments

• img_2191_193.jpeg
    img_2191_193.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 558
  • img_2193_105.jpeg
    img_2193_105.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 558
  • img_2194_357.jpeg
    img_2194_357.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 557
  • img_2195_209.jpeg
    img_2195_209.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 558
You do know the centre back sections just pull out, they are only Velcro'd in :wink:

I would use them a bit longer to see if you get used to them. I fitted hardbacks to mine and preferred the more comfortable 'comfort" seats which I retained but persisted with the hard backs as they do look much better and I just got used to them. I drive the car very rarely now (first time last week in 15 mths) and thought the sports seats where very comfy.....just shows

Hi,

I have "comfort" seats in my car and have found them to be very comfortable :lol: Back in 2010 when I drove the car from the UK to Spain I took 2 days and drove 9 hours each day with the occasional stop for fuel and a coffee. The journey was a joy and both my wife and I arrived at our destinations as fresh as a daisy. I'm 6 foot tall and the journey was fantastic.

ATB :)

I changed my interior out from Classic grey to black, installed new Recaro LS seats which are both amazingly light and incredibly supportive.

Attachments

• img_3809_108.png
    img_3809_108.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 423
Its the lack of Lumbar support that I find difficult. I'm in the process of having new cushions made with a larger/firmer lumbar pad behind as I want to retain the use of the rear seats for the next few years.

Will go with those Cobra Nogaro's with pneumatic lumbar support after the kids get too big and rears can be dispensed with

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
e46m3
Back