Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fleetman''s 996.1 C4 Aero kit update

Thanks MC

The E36 M3 is great car, mine was standard with a suspension refresh, it was never beaten at curborough by any E46 only the V8 was quicker. Upset a few bigger fish over the years!

I followed your old car on M3cutters, what a car that is now. I was going to do something similar, but really wanted a change. I know made the right choice.

I'm loving your build!

Dave

Yes, he has really gone to town on it. I'm more interested in the mechanical bits as you can probably tell. My current project is on another level. My E36 took 6 months and cost me £6k, I broke even on it which I was happy about. I'm 2 years and a bit more than £6k in to this one :)
I'll be following with interest, love a good project thread.

MC

Stevedickens said:
Try JP Alloys in Cannock, a bit pricy though, but they do a good job.
They did a great job on my wheels, including one needed a buckle sorting.
Another vote for the pics, love them.
And welcome :thumb:

So with the lock down over the Easter weekend and plenty of time to spend on the 996....
Firstly when I was putting everything back together after replacing the plugs, plug well seals and coils it was only right everything had a good clean and polish. I wasn't too happy with tatty edge on the silencer heat shields.

Some aluminium tape from Amazon has done the job. I don't know if will last but looks good for now.

Pipes and cat's cleaned.

Heat shield and bumper cleaned

Now the back is back together and running sweat, it was time clean the radiators and condensers. I haven't an issue but aware this is essential maintenance, any other Newbie's haven't done this yet, I recommend you do it.
Even though my car is clean and well maintained I still recovered a small compost heap of leaves and debris, that if left would start to rot the rad's and condensers.

With OPC closed and unable to replace the fitting, all screws, nuts , bolts, fittings and brackets painted.

19 years of oxidation cleaned from from bumper, ( I know iit is clean now)

Although the underside has had a good wash the frunk floor was still a dirty grey colour, so with plenty of time and nothing better to do it had scrub and another jet wash whilst the bumper cover was off.

And another quick clean under arches.

Have decided to use JP Alloys for the wheel refurb once lock down is over, less than 20 minutes down the road, I just need to decide on the tyre choice.

Once wheels and tyres are done, I'm going to get it dirty and enjoy ride.

Just waiting for the green light once the lock down is over. In the mean time..... I must start the other project

Thanks for reading.

Dave

Welcome along

A lot of great info on here and some very helpful people with advice and serious cost saving tips.

Some of the project threads are first class. I don't be on here as much as I'd like due to having 5 kids and my own projects but it's always a good place to look when I'm stuck for an answer for something.

Great pics
Love an aero.

Whats the E30... a 318iS? Had one of those years ago, great car.

The next instalment....

It's a bit tame when compared some of the great threads on this 996 forum. ( especially the Aero cars)

First job wheels and tyres.

Following the recommendations on previous page for JP Alloys in Cannock I decided to pay them a socially distanced visit. The place was stacked out with McLaren, Lamborghini and Porsche wheels. After a quick tour and inspection of rack of completed wheels I was happy for for them split my BBS rims.

For tyres Michelin were my only choice, I have been fortunate to have carried out tyre testing on number different tyres and vehicles,that with my wider fleet experience and talking to other test Engineers the Michelin PS range is always first choice road going performance cars.

Generally I'm in position to get tyres at trade price, unfortunately our usual wholesaler didn't have N rated tyres in 225 /265 combination. Back circles were showing PS2's as available so dropped them in the basket. I didn't check out straight away as I had busy few weeks coming up and wanted tyres delivered to coincide with wheel refurbishment.

5 days later I get an email from Black Circles asking why had not ordered tyres? I said I was waiting for one the usual Michelin Promotions, result 2 days later promo code for 15% off valid for 72 hours. I would have ordered anyway. It may worth dropping some tyres in black circles basket if you thinking of getting new tyres soon.

Tyre Details: 2 x Michelin Pilot Sport 2 (Porsche (N3)) 225/40 R18 Y (92), Reinforced
2 x Michelin Pilot Sport 2 (Porsche (N3)) 265/35 R18 Y (97), Reinforced
Price: £476.4

Wheels and tyre delivered to JP Alloys and decision made to diamond cut the outer rim with original sliver center. Four working days later ready for collection.

They look great, I'm not connected to JP Alloys but can fully recommend them.

Whilst wheels were away and the car on axle stands time to do few other jobs.

Replace air con condensers and the drier.

Replace rear pads.

Wheel bolts painted and lubricated with the correct Castrol Optimol paste.

Diagonal cross beams striped, primed and painted.

Aluminium cross beam cleaned and polished.

Wheels back on, road tested to local ATS for AC vac , test and re-gas. ( another bargain, groupon voucher £37.50 for a hours work, 900 Grams of 134 and Pag )

I'm still loving the car after the first year. The car rides great on the new Michelins. if you have got old tyres, this is the best money you can spend.

Next job, just drive it!

Dave

Looks great. We have similar cars and have completed some of the same projects. Apologies if I have missed it but have you had your alignment checked? I changed to a new set of ps2s and similarly pleased and even more so after finding one of the wheels was not aligned properly.

Thanks Graham, The wheel alignment was carried out by local OPC not long before I got it. (Part of £3.5 k work ) I do want replace the rear coffin arms at some point so will recheck then.
From the way it drives it's not too far out, but there's usually room to improve with few a minor tweaks, that said despite some enthusiastic driving I've not yet thought I need anything else from the handling, which for an engineer is rare and first for me!

Dave

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back