Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Failure Indicator w/ Oil Can (Ok to drive?/Really Nervous)

umirza85

Monza
I just drove from London to Nottingham for work the other day, all was fine had a great drive up. Today driving to the office from the hotel the dash lit up and said "Failure Indicator" with a oil can underneath it. I saw the oil gauge fluctuate then after a few seconds it seemed like everything went back to normal.

I am at work and cannot do too much searching but came upon this post:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/21877-oil-sensor-failure/
#6 post said the following:
The first and least problematic is the OBC warning with an oil can icon and the verbiage: "Failure Indicator"....which means: "Oil pressure indicator is faulty. Have the fault remedied at an authorized Porsche dealer". The second and potentially the more serious is an low oil pressure "idiot light" in concert with the OBC oil can icon with the folowing verbiage: "Engine oil pressure too low"....which means: "Stop immediately at a suitable place, measure oil level with the on-board computer and, if necessary, add engine oil".

I am here the rest of the week until Saturday and will be doing about 20 miles a day (10/10) to and from the office for the rest of this week and then driving back home Sat.

Im just wondering if I am ok to keep driving? I will check the oil later but Im freaking-out a little bit (and especially as I need to get to and from work). The onboard oil sensor hovers between the 2-4 usually (every now and then is flashing but next time i drive its back up to halfway :?: ). And the dipstick is usually marked to the top of the first ball, maybe a little past (i.e there is a small ball, longer middle section, and top ball). I just had a minor done at an OPC a few months ago....wondering if maybe I should buy a bottle of Mobil1 0w40 to just have on hand, and to do a little top up?

Any help would be really appreciated.

And the dipstick is usually marked to the top of the first ball, maybe a little past (i.e there is a small ball, longer middle section, and top ball).

Can you confirm the oil level. The dipstick has a blob on the bottom, then a thinner section, then another blob. The oil level should be at the bottom of the upper blob, ie at the top of the thin section. Yours sounds like it's low on oil if it's only reaching the bottom blob. This may be causing your warning light.

Don't worry too much, you should be fine to drive it especially if you always keep it topped up with oil, it'll probably be just the sender unit starting to fail or a poor connection to the unit.

The price for the unit is about £40-45 ish and reasonably easy to fit. OPC Nottingham should have one in stock and if you are worried about driving it home, I don't mind helping you fit it as I'm local, I have a few things to do to my car in the evening this week so will have the spanners out already.

mine flashed this once a few months ago (oil ok) then never again.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. Im just trying to respond in between calls :)

Shurv said:
And the dipstick is usually marked to the top of the first ball, maybe a little past (i.e there is a small ball, longer middle section, and top ball).

Can you confirm the oil level. The dipstick has a blob on the bottom, then a thinner section, then another blob. The oil level should be at the bottom of the upper blob, ie at the top of the thin section. Yours sounds like it's low on oil if it's only reaching the bottom blob. This may be causing your warning light.

I just went to an OPC for a minor a few months ago and the oil level has always been hovering on the lower (bottom) blob and a tiny bit on the longer middle section. I felt as though it was low but wasn't going to question the OPC.

So If I'm hovering on the lower blob, how much oil would I need to add to get it to the top of the top ball?

HSC911 said:
Try cleaning the contacts on the Oil sender.

But that's not going to help if you don't have enough oil in the car :sad:

Have a look here, oil level sender is a common thing to go wrong it seems:

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=81946&highlight=oil+level+failure

Thanks for this link, and the last one that you sent. It does make me al little more relived that its just a sensor issue vs something disastrous. Also going by what Shurv said and some of the links it could also be to do with my oil level possibly being low?

infrasilver said:
Don't worry too much, you should be fine to drive it especially if you always keep it topped up with oil, it'll probably be just the sender unit starting to fail or a poor connection to the unit.

The price for the unit is about £40-45 ish and reasonable easy to fit. OPC Nottingham should have one in stock and if you are worried about driving it home, I don't mind helping you fit it as I'm local, I have a few things to do to my car in the evening this week so will have the spanners out already.

Thanks for confirming that I should be good to drive, looks like I'll need to find somewhere to pick up a bottle of Mobil 1 0w40 somewhere (office in Beeston, staying in Nottingham) Hoping that its just the low oil level causing the issue. I really though that having it on the first ball would be fine as thats how it came back from the OPC.

Thanks for the offer for helping switch it out, I will put some oil in the car this evening and hopefully will be good. Otherwise I can pick up the unit from OPC Nottingham and take you up on your offer, Its REALLY appreciated. Always hate being out of town when something with the car goes wrong.

paul_mck said:
mine flashed this once a few months ago (oil ok) then never again.

Fingers crossed!!!! :frustrated:

I'm willing to bet it's your oil pressure sender, very common fault.
You can try either cleaning the contacts or just get a new one for ~£50.

It's about a litre between min and max on the dipstick. If you're going to add oil, make sure you don't overfill!!

Shaoxter said:
I'm willing to bet it's your oil pressure sender, very common fault.
You can try either cleaning the contacts or just get a new one for ~£50.

It's about a litre between min and max on the dipstick. If you're going to add oil, make sure you don't overfill!!

Never needed to put oil in before. If Im on the bottom blob on the dipstick (1/3) and i need to get it to the TOP of the top blob (3/3) would starting with half bottle (1L) be ok?

Is this the oil I can pick up from Halfords? Not sure what the 'New Life' means. Is this synthetic?
http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel/engine-oils-fluids/engine-oil/mobil-1-new-life-0w-40-oil-1l

10% off everything in halfords 12-2 today. applied automatically when you reserve online.

Unless your car uses a lot of oil, I wouldn't bother topping it up until it gets near the minimum amount. But obviously check the oil level frequently.

HSC911 said:
[
That's the one.

There is a ECP in Nottingham, not far at all from Beeston:

http://www.eurocarparts.com/nottingham.html

Wow I never would have seen that, its perfect. Walking distance to from my hotel.

paul_mck said:
10% off everything in halfords 12-2 today. applied automatically when you reserve online.

The only Halfords I seemed to pass seemed to be ones that looked like garages - they show up on the halfords store locator but not sure if they are actual stores?

Shaoxter said:
Unless your car uses a lot of oil, I wouldn't bother topping it up until it gets near the minimum amount. But obviously check the oil level frequently.

I've never put oil in and its seemed to be at the same level since my last oil change so I guess I can put some in then. Just wondering though how much of a 1L bottle would I apx use to get from the bottom third blob of the stick to the top of the first blob?

my 2004 C4S owners manual says

'1.25 litres to go from min to max mark and each segment of the dipstick (assuming a 2003 is the same) represents 0.2L'

as per previous advice, I'd run it at a mark or two below max on the digital gauge and as backed up by the dipstick.

Mine seems to correspond pretty well. Would def add it bit by bit, dumping a litre in at once could risk overfill unless you're very sure of the real level which can also cause significant issues....

my sender occasionally dies and immediately comes back as others have found, few and far between and not a concern unless it stops reading completely. ultimately if done correctly the dipstick can't lie!

gilessav said:
my 2004 C4S owners manual says

'1.25 litres to go from min to max mark and each segment of the dipstick (assuming a 2003 is the same) represents 0.2L'

as per previous advice, I'd run it at a mark or two below max on the digital gauge and as backed up by the dipstick.

Mine seems to correspond pretty well. Would def add it bit by bit, dumping a litre in at once could risk overfill unless you're very sure of the real level which can also cause significant issues....

my sender occasionally dies and immediately comes back as others have found, few and far between and not a concern unless it stops reading completely. ultimately if done correctly the dipstick can't lie!

Thanks I bought a one litre and added bit by bit and I only needed to add about 3/4 of the bottle and on level ground the inbuilt sensor reads it as 2 bars from full which is JUST below the max line on the dipstick according to the manual so I guess it does read correctly (when all the stars are aligned)

Good to know that its such a common issue with other people also, I will try not to worrk as was said and just keep enjoying :thumb:

Thanks again to everyone with the really helpful responses today, probably saved me a lot of money from taking it in from over-freaking out. Guess now that I really know how much is in I can see how much oil is being 'used up'. Though hopefully its none at all.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back