Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fab speed replacement filter (Problem)...

Frankyboy

Monza
Hi guys...
As above bought a new k&n filter to replace the Bmc F1 filter that's been on there god knows how long and pretty much gunked up...

The K&n is only a touch smaller but on fitting and driving it drove like a pig misfire throughout rev range the engine wasn't having none of it..
Any ideas?
I guess I'm looking to get replacement Bmc f1 filter any you guys know for good stockists?...
Edit...on replacing old Bmc filter car drives A1...

Attachments

• 47aef206_0806_4157_bac6_df9c9f475dfc_110.jpeg
    47aef206_0806_4157_bac6_df9c9f475dfc_110.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,831
I've put old bmc filter on and drives A1...only plays up with k&n filter I'm wondering is it to small for the engine...but saying that its only marginally smaller than the bmc...

montygraphics said:
I am at a loss as why owners want to modify such a fragile engine in this way.

For the induction noise?
They don't add power (see threads on here) - and OE paper one probably performs better as filter too. Plus your car doesn't misfire with OE ;)

drmark said:
montygraphics said:

For the induction noise?
They don't add power (see threads on here) - and OE paper one probably performs better as filter too. Plus your car doesn't misfire with OE ;)
Look out I now need a full engine rebuild on my fragile engine...Not :floor: ...Purely did it for induction noise and as I said it doesn't misfire with the Bmc filter fitted only changing as it's been on couple years and looks a bit gunked up....

Frankyboy said:
drmark said:
montygraphics said:

For the induction noise?
Look out I now need a full engine rebuild on my fragile engine...Not :floor: ...Purely did it for induction noise and as I said it doesn't misfire with the Bmc filter fitted only changing as it's been on couple years and looks a bit gunked up....

Don't joke about rebuilds Franky.
Mine's currently at Hartech. And we had a new engine (under warranty from Porsche) in our previous 997 due to the same (250 miles after we bought it and it was only 12 months old).

After the repair bill I had roughly 5 years ago on a rebuild I didn't make any jokes when paying the bill....but over time it's all the joys of owning a 997...

You will get use to it Fella...Merry Xmas :D

Frankyboy said:
After the repair bill I had roughly 5 years ago on a rebuild I didn't make any jokes when paying the bill....but over time it's all the joys of owning a 997...

You will get use to it Fella...Merry Xmas :D

Just wish I didn't love the cars so much....
Happy Christmas

Totally get where you coming from :thumb:

I think all us 997 guys can relate to is yes we spend good couple of £££ on our cars...but the feeling we get back when driving them out weighs it....

It's going to be a cold Sunday morning tomorrow take the 911 out can't beat it.. :thumb:

The filter was obviously causing a restriction to the air flow .. might have been a duff filter or perhaps not the right one for your model of car :dont know:

Whilst im not a fan of modding these cars i still get it .. i'm not a fan as a modded car makes my life difficult when there's a problem basically .

Better sound both in and out of the cabin .. it's what people search for !!

Porsche these days actually fit a pipe from the air box to the cabin to increase induction noise for the driver .

Different filters , exhausts etc .. it's the sound that drives people .. i've driven cars that drone and i can't wait to get back to the workshop to ones that make me want to sing and not go back !! .

Tweak the car how you want it i say .. but realise that non Porsche items can cause issues and make my life at least difficult when there is a running issue !

Engines are not fragile as such .. but there are some issues which can happen ... as they can on any manufacturer .. i really don't want to go down the scoring route with this comment please.

DeMort as always thanks for your input helped me out again Fella...
Another pint I owe you.. :thumb:

Do you have a picture of the other end of the BMC F1 filter? And ideally a part number? I'm looking for alternatives to the stock Fabspeed offerings. I thought the BMC cones were open at the other end and therefore potentially let unfiltered air in, but surely that can't be the case, so I imagine the hole is not all the way through?

Is yours like this:

Attachments

• 4f193dbe_2777_4d08_b9cc_a23ade947a43_120.png
    4f193dbe_2777_4d08_b9cc_a23ade947a43_120.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,422
Received today measurements spot on...
And filterd both ends...cheers for your info

Attachments

• 20221222_151653_185.jpg
    20221222_151653_185.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1,083
  • 20221222_151744_237.jpg
    20221222_151744_237.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,083
  • 20221222_151726_210.jpg
    20221222_151726_210.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,083
Awesome mate. Don't suppose you have the measurements for the old Fabspeed filter and new BMS do you? Seems shorter than the Fabspeed from the pictures. I can't measure mine at the no, as it's away having a carbon ducktail painted and fitted.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back