Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Evans Waterless Coolant - Anyone tried and running it?

Zentrum started offering this and Mike told me that they recommend it when doing a rebuild following bore scoring. I have been considering it for a while and would definitely use it if I had a N/A engine. But still worth doing for the reduction in pressure instead of having the coolant hoses welded.

jonboy said:
Zentrum started offering this and Mike told me that they recommend it when doing a rebuild following bore scoring. I have been considering it for a while and would definitely use it if I had a N/A engine. But still worth doing for the reduction in pressure instead of having the coolant hoses welded.

Mike suggested it to me when I took my engine there for them to time it up after I'd rebuilt it but I just think the cost is a little steep for the extra you get from it and it's not fully proven yet, there are other options out there.
The benefit for the turbo is if a hose let go the pressure would be less but still not sure that is worth that extra outlay.

Hmm, it all depends when it goes. Here's one of my rubber hoses detaching at Donington; fortunately for me & the car, it was on the slowest corner & made even slower by Mr LoCost in front. Now imagine that happening on a B-road at speed with a truck coming the other way :eek:

(It took 40+ minutes for the circuit to dress the resulting mess btw)

My fittings have been welded for the last 3 years, but you shouldn't forget about the myriad rubber hoses that are all shrinking + the crap factory hose clips that are all getting corroded & weak. It's not cheap to replace absolutely all of them, but any car with 10+ years on it lives in danger of sudden failure happening sooner or later.
These are just the non-engine bay hoses; to replace them all + the 3 rads takes the best part of 2 days:

Attachments

• hoses_medium_998.jpg
    hoses_medium_998.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 17,304
Wow NX, you were really lucky there! That could have been so much worse, and for it to happen just before you've passed the pit lane entrance just caps it off!

If you don't mind me asking, how much did that little lot of hoses cost to buy? Looks like a good few hundred quid worth?

I really like the look of this Evans stuff. Would I buy it if I hadn't already had my bonded pipes pinned? I don't know really because when you add in the cost of the flushing fluid you are heading up to £1k. For not a lot more you can have a permanent (and better) solution.

However in the non-Metzger cars I'd be all over it like a rash!

ragpicker said:
Wow NX, you were really lucky there! That could have been so much worse, and for it to happen just before you've passed the pit lane entrance just caps it off!

If you don't mind me asking, how much did that little lot of hoses cost to buy? Looks like a good few hundred quid worth?

I really like the look of this Evans stuff. Would I buy it if I hadn't already had my bonded pipes pinned? I don't know really because when you add in the cost of the flushing fluid you are heading up to £1k. For not a lot more you can have a permanent (and better) solution.

Where arE you getting those prices? You can get the coolant including prepping fluid for less than £600 on ebay. Unless you're talking about labour as well?

isysman said:
ragpicker said:

Where arE you getting those prices? You can get the coolant including prepping fluid for less than £600 on ebay. Unless you're talking about labour as well?

Yes I was comparing the cost of having the coolant drained, flushed several times and then filled with the Evans with having the engine out, both at an indy. In very general, loose terms you understand.

ragpicker said:

Total parts bill was £1180. That includes all the hoses, wideband s/s clamps + all 3 rads. The rads were just over £600. The rads were due for changing anyway.

BTW, it's Mezger, not Metzger :wink:

ragpicker said:
isysman said:
ragpicker said:

Where are you getting those prices? You can get the coolant including prepping fluid for less than £600 on ebay. Unless you're talking about labour as well?

Yes I was comparing the cost of having the coolant drained, flushed several times and then filled with the Evans with having the engine out, both at an indy. In very general, loose terms you understand.

But you only need it flushing one time according to their website. And the fluid can be reused so if you wanted to do it twice then you could reuse.

It says you fill the system with the prep, get the car to normal operating temp. Then drop it and fill with new coolant.

Really interesting discussion but can I summarise on what I think has be said. So the engine heats up primarily because of the combustion process , the water in the jacket around the cylinder walls takes the heat away until such a point where everything gets so hot that the water boils causing a micro layer of steam around the cylinder wall and the temperature transfer is compromised. This then causes the oil in that area to overheat and that inturn causes the oil to fail which can cause wear in the form of bore scoring.

The waterless coolant eliminates the boiling issue but runs much hotter probably because it cannot transfer the heat aswell as water and so the oil heats up beyond its operating temperature thus creating the potential for bore scoring. Have I got that right? Or not

The waterless coolant is supposed to run at lower temperatures.

Q. Will Evans Waterless Coolant cause my engine to run at a higher temperature?
A. The operating temperature of the engine and coolant may increase slightly, by approximately 3-7 degrees. However the temperature inside the engine will be consistent and steam vapour will not be produced. i.e engines often run cooler with Evans Waterless Coolants.

Chris_in_the_UK said:
This sounds very contradictory?

Only superficially.

Evans cannot transfer heat as efficiently as water, therefore it runs hotter. Because it won't boil, it does have the benefit of no cavitation over water. Localised hotspots or thermal runaway can still happen with Evans though. It's not the magic bullet it would like you to think.

However, water only exhibits these problems in extreme circumstances & (if everything else is working correctly) it will only do so because the water jackets around cylinder 5 and 6 have insufficient flow - this is the root cause of bore scoring, a fundamental design fault with the M96/97 engines, if I've understood Barry Hart correctly. Whichever coolant you use is likely to affect the negative impact of that fault only marginally, if at all..

These are the reasons I haven't done it myself when I've had the opportunity to, it's still unproven in the M96/7 engine and not worth the expense for the risk that it may not work or even, may be worse, our engines are a bit quirky and only lengthy testing with Evan coolant with positive results would sway me to to use it.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashton911
Back