Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Electric cars, the future. If it is were all stuffed!

The biggest issue is there isn't a problem and everyone's been hoodwinked into thinking there is.

If anyone wants to show me any evidence to prove otherwise, go ahead.

I have to agree that the initial publicity, promotion and marketing never made it clear that the mileage claims were optimistic and I can understand how many got their choices innocently wrong and found them unsuitable.

In our case my wife drives less than 1000 miles/year and never goes outside Bolton - so new cars depreciate disproportionately and as we are both retired - going to the petrol station is great to avoid.

We went to watch Bolton win the Papa Johns cup last weekend and of course used my Porsche (who wouldn't) - went great nearly 700 miles over the weekend - only problem was the drumming of the tyres over the M25 concrete joint strips.

so although I sympathise I don't think you do your argument any good by claiming "no one wants a car that cannot complete several hundred miles round trip". I appreciate that's what you need but it is not what we need.

New novel products often see a slow in take up after the initial launch (as the most enthusiastic get them first and sales then slow) and I do think for some that limited mileage (miss-sold) is a handicap many are becoming aware of.

On out trip the M6 was closed all day due to a crash and luckily we got off at a junction before it was too late and drove over to the M1 via Derby - and I also hate to think what you would do in an all electric car if you were stuck all day in that jam with your battery needing re-charge and it ran out!.

But here in Bolton I am finding I only use the Porsche to go to work to keep the battery charged up and much more often jump in the Peugeot - easier round town, faster than most cars, no problem charging it at home every couple of weeks.

So I return to my original conclusion that electric cars will suit some people and not others but that should not encourage those that made a mistake buying them to claim "no one wants them" when they are a revelation to local driving and despite spending a lifetime involved in racing, fast cars and performance tuning - I actually prefer it.

Baz

As a new eco warrior electric car driver :grin: ......the Taycan has a rep of being very realistic with its range once it gets to know your driving style :hand: .......so far I have zero range anxiety but that probably due to the fact I had 3 hybrids prior to going full EV so am fully aware of what affects range etc.......also one of the best things I was told was stop thinking of travel as distance but time, I'm of that age now where I have to have a break every 2 hours or I fall asleep driving (literally) ....so long as I can plan 2 hours stints easily I'll be happy. No doubt their are EV's out there with shockingly overstated range (just as their used to be with MPG) but there is plenty of info out their on owner forums about real world range. A favourite past time of mine is jumping on the Range Rover hybrid threads to wind people up who are getting 50% of the range they where promised in the middle of a wet winter :floor:

Appreciating there are always "statistics, damned statistics and lies" the sales trends I mentioned above follow a well documented "S" curve and if you search on the Internet for "the S curve of electric car sales" you will find a different picture emerges about the sales and future of electric cars.

Shortage of parts Worldwide also held sales back.

Baz

jonttt said:
As a new eco warrior electric car driver :grin: ......the Taycan has a rep of being very realistic with its range once it gets to know your driving style :hand: .......so far I have zero range anxiety but that probably due to the fact I had 3 hybrids prior to going full EV so am fully aware of what affects range etc.......also one of the best things I was told was stop thinking of travel as distance but time, I'm of that age now where I have to have a break every 2 hours or I fall asleep driving (literally) ....so long as I can plan 2 hours stints easily I'll be happy. No doubt their are EV's out there with shockingly overstated range (just as their used to be with MPG) but there is plenty of info out their on owner forums about real world range. A favourite past time of mine is jumping on the Range Rover hybrid threads to wind people up who are getting 50% of the range they where promised in the middle of a wet winter :floor:

So there's me feeling guilty for losing you during our recent drive out when in reality you'd pulled over for a kip :sleepy: :eek:

Just read an article about the world's largest EV charging park in California, powered
by diesel generators.
My diesel Macan has a certificate with every MOT stating that the emissions are too low to get a reading.
You can FRO with your EV bull sh88!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
concept303
Back