Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dyno recommendations please

TV8 said:
Not sure why one power run would make the car overheat?

I think that power runs are useful things to check that the fueling is ok. Charlie stopped a power run on my last TVR as it was far too lean. It certainly explained why the car didn't feel right on the road!

If you are close to Charlie, then this person might be a bit to far away but Joolz is highly respected in the TVR world and has a free-stranding rolling road. I was one of his 1st customers to remap the Lucas FI system and gave him the car to get it working properly with the capacity increase the previous owner had completed without touching the fuelling.

He might not be interested in other work but worth speaking to. He is also a thoroughly decent man.

http://www.kitsandclassics.co.uk/Rolling-Road-Checklist/

The engine is in the rear in a 911 and when that 911 is 'air cooled" you should really use a bespoke dyno specifically setup to provide airflow to a rear engine car or it can easily overheat :wink:

jonttt said:
TV8 said:
Not sure why one power run would make the car overheat?

/

The engine is in the rear in a 911 and when that 911 is 'air cooled" you should really use a bespoke dyno specifically setup to provide airflow to a rear engine car or it can easily overheat :wink:

I do understand the configuration.. A bit surprised that a single power run should be such a risk. Troubleshooting, tweaking, re-mapping and repeat runs, I would understand but one run, quick removal of the safety stuff and drive it out and I would expect it to be fine. Obviously, assuming the owner of the car and the rolling road are in agreement of a quick test and turnaround.

There's not much of an issue putting an NA air cooled car on the rolling road but a turbocharged air cooled 911 needs lots of air flowing through the horizontally mounted intercooler which floor standing fans can't provide.

I recall watching a 500 bhp 993tt being tested on Manthey Racing's Maha rolling road. They removed the engine lid and fitted a special duct suspended from the roof of the test room and supplied by a large diameter fan to insure the intercooler was able to do its thing.

G11ATA said:
K24 turbos, secan intercooler, injectors, equal length manifolds with straight pipes, Motech management

Wayne mapped my 993 GT2 when it got a 3.8 engine upgrade with K16/26 hybrid turbos, custom intercooler & a Cargraphic cat-only exhaust. 2 problems were found: it needed a Bosch motorsport 044 fuel pump and a 5 bar FPR to safely make the power I wanted. It does this at a relatively low boost of 1 bar. The car did maybe 8 power runs in a row without suffering a significant rise in AIT. Wayne's cooling works! Unfortunately, the tyres didn't appreciate being asked to do the runs & were over-heating...

Wayne is also (AFAIK) the only person who has all the kit & knowledge to modify the early Motronic ECU to allow it to be mapped.

OP, seriously there are very few Dynos specifically setup for rear engine cars, there are even less setup for oil cooled cars where the cooling is even more important and there are even less people who understand these cars with regards to customer mapping........the best of those is Wayne at Chipwizards, there is nothing you will be doing to a 993 to increase power that he has not done many many times and in most cases help to develop for motorsport......I'd say at least try and speak to him but he is very hard to get hold of on the phone.....it is worth the effort to at least try though .........if you end up using someone else at least you will have more knowledge of what to do from Wayne :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashton911
Back