Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dropped screw when changing tail light bulb

chowgar

Spa-Francorchamps
I'm sure I'm not the first to have dropped the M6 X 12 screw down the little gap when removing the rear tail light. It's as if they put that little gap there just for this purpose 😡 I had some spare screws for this size and snugged it up, but my OCD is doing my nut and I want to get that loose screw out.

Good luck! I lost a screwdriver socket down the gap in my old 911 never to be seen again.

magnetic recovery tool might work
1700328420284.png

Yep, magnetic thingy may work - otherwise it's rear bumper cover off!

Sounds drastic, but it's only about 14 screws or so, rear wheels off helps a lot and then it does quite literally "pop" off!

I tried using that magnetic device, but no joy. I can't even hear the screw rattling with the loud exhaust anyway, so it's not that much of a bother really. At least, that's what I'll keep telling myself until I eventually take the bumper off, lol.

Other option is a small diameter pipe in the end of the snout of your vacuum cleaner with loads of tape holding it there. poke the pipe down to where you think the screw is and get sucking.

I did exactly the same a couple of years ago. I removed the bumper cover only to find the dropped screw sitting on top of the twin exhaust tail pipe.

Job done. I removed the bumper screws above the exhaust tail pipes and then set about gently flexing the lower portion of the bumper until the offender dropped to the floor.

Thanks for all the tips guys.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pands
Back