Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

DIY WOES

Jason Taylor

Montreal
I've inadvertently managed to pull out 3 of the wires from the plug which connects the steering wheel electrics to the car (997.1, 2019 Macan wheel) I've decided to drop the wheel into an auto electrical garage to see if they can repair it for me, I have an image from the gps adapters website which shows purple goes into pin no.10 (next to fixed black wire) but isn't totally clear where the other 2 go, does anyone know here I could see or get the information?

I think it goes purple next to the fixed black wire, then brown/white, light blue then the loose black wire at the far end?

Any help very much appreciated

Attachments

• b2c8f8bc_5585_4a47_a9d8_d67e0674a861_213.jpeg
    b2c8f8bc_5585_4a47_a9d8_d67e0674a861_213.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,181
First off ..

What the hell happened to the wiring ? its burnt , something overloaded and melted the wiring there .. the purple connection has been re soldered and i expect to the end terminal !

Ok .. i'm not sure .. i don't have wiring diagrams for this macan year .. best i can find is below ..

BU= blue
BN= brown
GY=grey
WH=white
YE=yellow
RD=red
BK-black
VT=violet

Courtesy of P9XX for the help in getting this new system running on my computer .

Attachments

• w1_1_170.jpg
    w1_1_170.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 2,155
Yeah, decided I could solder the wires back into plug, caught the other wires with the soldering iron!!!!

I should be banned from owning any tools of any sort 😂

I've had it repaired today by an auto electrician so I'm looking to get it re installed later this week, hopefully without any more problems, thanks for the advice.👍

Soldering is actually pretty easy if you follow 1 rule .. the solder iron .. melt a bit of solder onto it to make sure its at the correct temp ..

Soldering a wire and place the solder gun tip UNDER the wire .. solder onto the side of the tip to build a small pool of melted solder then on top of the wire .. you will suddenly see the solder blob get sucked into the wire .. a quick run up and down the wire and job done .

I'll try and get a video done of this .. it's on my list of things to do .. i just need to find the time !

Jason Taylor said:
I've had it repaired today by an auto electrician so I'm looking to get it re installed later this week, hopefully without any more problems, thanks for the advice.👍

Yeah, broke off a wire whilst re installing!!!!

I've had it back to the auto electrician today who repaired it in situ and it worked and I have volume controls.
I was ecstatic, for a while until I got a check engine message on the dash later today, it does seem that this car actually hates me.

Fault code please and i'll go from there .. i'll bet its post cat lambda sensor ageing though ... a slow signal one side when compared bank to bank .

It's not just cars that hate us .. and dare i say it .. problems come in threes .. eml , steering wheel .. gulp !

deMort said:
Fault code please and i'll go from there .. i'll bet its post cat lambda sensor ageing though ... a slow signal one side when compared bank to bank .

It's not just cars that hate us .. and dare i say it .. problems come in threes .. eml , steering wheel .. gulp !

How would I find the fault code?

Pic below

Attachments

• 29dbc94a_e3d1_4cf0_a303_fbdd5f31941b_212.jpeg
    29dbc94a_e3d1_4cf0_a303_fbdd5f31941b_212.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,713
You need to find yourself a good indy - brave attempt Jason but looking at your skills I'd counsel the steering a very important component of the car - do not mess it up :thumbs: :floor:

IMI A said:
You need to find yourself a good indy - brave attempt Jason but looking at your skills I'd counsel the steering a very important component of the car - do not mess it up :thumbs: :floor:

TBH, I've no argument with that, I get a rush of misplaced over confidence, I need to snap an elastic band on my wrist each time it happens then maybe I can reprogram myself??

You can only get a fault code by using a suitable testing device .. i use piwis ( porsche diagnostic tool ) but there are many cheap alternatives .. code readers basically .

I would always recommend a good indy to have a look at the car .. all you need is a scan and a report of the codes .. the indy will explain or you can post here .. saves buying a tester anyways .

Nothing wrong with diy .. that's why i come here .. to help out where possible ..

Soldering though is something best practised first then do it for real .. pretty much like everything in life lol .

Jason Taylor said:
IMI A said:

TBH, I've no argument with that, I get a rush of misplaced over confidence, I need to snap an elastic band on my wrist each time it happens then maybe I can reprogram myself??

I get the itch too but stay away. Maybe get yourself a durametric cable at some stage. They do come up used for sale from time to time. Useful for resetting codes etc and seeing whats going on with your car which is about as far as I go ;)

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike 964 speedster
Back