Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

DIY Mufflers

ChrisT70 said:
Certainly for me with my mufflers that was the case. They are now empty boxes with just a 100mm or so entry and exit pipe internally. The 90 degree baffle plate and all wadding are gone. The boxes were difficult to pull apart once slotted according to my mate as the wadding all got trapped etc and he feels he would do them with a slightly different approach if he did any more. He said he'd probably cut open the entire side for full easier access and just weld it back on after rather than struggling through the end cap as such. Anyhooo it worked as we thought and touch wood no apparent downside yet. Personally i could stand a bit more noise yet without it being ruined but that would need replacement free flowing cats i suspect so it will stay just as it is. I just cant find enough time at present to enjoy it due to work.

Cheers buddy - much appreciated. Don't suppose your mate is interested in modifying some more (for some beer tokens, of course!)?

Tbh he moaned like buggery lol. I can ask but he'll want decent money as it took him a couple of hrs per box.

ChrisT70 said:
Tbh he moaned like buggery lol. I can ask but he'll want decent money as it took him a couple of hrs per box.

Let me know how much he wants, and where he is based. Am interested!

If you can remove, open (angle grinder with cut-off wheel), and gut them - any half-decent fabricator should be able to TIG (not forgetting to back-purge) them back together again :dont know:

Chris993C2 said:
If you can remove, open (angle grinder with cut-off wheel), and gut them - any half-decent fabricator should be able to TIG (not forgetting to back-purge) them back together again :dont know:

This is true just show them the pic above and say I'd like two of those please :)

dB level

In the interests of science I've just put our dB meter from work on my car with its fruity mufflers on. As suspected its not too loud at idle only 84db at tickover on a cold engine. Holding it at 3/4 throttle its doing around 102db steady which is perfect in my book. With a rev and a pop on lift off it peaked at 107db which is fairly fruity. You'd pass most trackdays at these levels so no worries other than possibly bedford autodrome gestapo if you are into trackdays. Overall very nice.

Inspired by ChrisT70's efforts at the DIY RSR, decided to have a bash at it too.

I had a set of 1.5" Hollamby modded boxes on a couple of years back which were good on the move but I tired of the rough sounding tickover and the constant nagging by SHMBO about the noise so invested a set of 2nd hand Bischoff exhausts off the bay. These were duly bagged for £99 inc delivery.

I'm no expert at metal bashing but thought 'how hard can it be?'

:?:

nipped down the local DIY shop for a few cutting discs for the grinder and got stuck into it. After about an hour had both boxes cut open. This was where the fun started.

You would have thought that you would then just pull the can off, leaving the internals behind. Noooooooo! :x

You can get about an inch clear but then need to prod and poke the internal insulation out of the can as this gets stuck when you try to pull the can. After I had all it removed, can still wouldn't budge. Finally got it free by levering the sheet steel with a large chisel and screwdriver. Can then slightly bent but figured this could be tapped back into shape after.

Next lopped off the internals (as per previous photos from Chris, but decided to leave a bit more length on the internal perforated section)

Finally for the welding. Quick call to a mate who said 'yeah, bring em over'.

Picked them up the next evening and gave them a finish off with some high temp silver paint. Hopefully this should save the mild steel inlet/outlet pipes from rusting further.

So what's the verdict? Pretty damn good I'd say. :D

Not as loud as I feared they would be, nice pop on the overrun nice rasp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS-Y7-URITc
(no the plates hung up on the garage wall are not off the 993)

so what about the costs:

2nd hand boxes: £99
cutting discs: £5
welding: £beer tokens only
paint: £9

this is well short of the 400 euro to Gert and even still got my original boxes to put back on. :grin:

Summary: If you are even a slight bit handy GO FOR IT, won't be disappointed :)

Attachments

• img_2352_171.jpg
    img_2352_171.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 2,135
  • img_2470_131.jpg
    img_2470_131.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 2,135
  • img_2471_185.jpg
    img_2471_185.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 2,135
  • img_2351_629.jpg
    img_2351_629.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 2,135
  • img_2354_669.jpg
    img_2354_669.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 2,135
Cheers Chris

Well worth the effort. Will have a compare at next meeting. Had a run out yesterday with the roof down. Sounded damn good to me :D

+1

I did the same to my mufflers and would highly recommend the modification, if you have the time and inclination.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
white981gt4
Back