Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

decisions decisions

stokie1

Spa-Francorchamps
Morning guys

Its been a while - I previously had a c2s and then a c4s - both gen 1 and loved them both but the curves on the 4 did it for me and really enjoyed the forum

Now I am back in the market for a toy and am trying desperately hard not to buy another 997 but it is sooo hard

Ferrari - too expensive now
R8 - its an audi and 40k min
TVR - will it work?
Caterham - its a go cart
Maserati - not really a sports car
lambo - too footballer and expensive
Mercs - boring
M3 - RS4 - RS6 etc - saloon cars

So why am I trying to buy something different - well variety is the spice and having had 2 - I wonder if I would be underwhelmed - particularly as the interiors are now getting dated

So the question

I am thinking of an older car - my previous 2 were daily drivers wheras this will be an occasional toy - so I don't need low miles etc

High miles - how high would you go - there are a few below 20k at 100k miles plus

has the bore scoring calmed down now - 5 years ago the internet was full of it??

Do Hartech and others still do their plan which covers the engine and gives you a service - I am located in stoke as per the name

has anyone honestly gone through the decisions and come up with an alternative??

thoughts and experiences really appreciated and any good cars that might be available - older though - I think

PS - I love the Porsche - had a poster on the wall when I was lad etc - but would still like to try something else - but is there anything - I am sure a few on here will have gone through the same process

cheers

Whats your budget ? quite a big variance in price there and not many in that list are like for like on a Gen 1

The trouble is , a 911 is so complete, whichever flavour you drive, that other cars seem like poor relatives in comparison. The only thing I'd change my 911 for is an Aston Martin V8 Vantage, BUT, I pretty much know, my 911 is every bit as good , if not better to drive.

Shurv said:
The trouble is , a 911 is so complete, whichever flavour you drive, that other cars seem like poor relatives in comparison. The only thing I'd change my 911 for is an Aston Martin V8 Vantage, BUT, I pretty much know, my 911 is every bit as good , if not better to drive.

yes i nearly went down the vantage route as looks inside and out wise they are certainly in my view superior - but just not quite the drivers car a 911 is

apols - yeah budget ??

flexible really

but don't want to spend more than I need for a bit of speed and fun

A gen2 at 40k will give me a bit of piece of mind but is it that much quicker than a 20k gen 1 - got close to thinking of a TVR but then had another look at the 997 and there is no difference in price with a griff or a Tuscan compared

thought about a 360 at 50k but you cant really get one for that now - and I don't want to go to 60k - too much in a car to sit in the garage

It will literally only come out on dry days for a blat to blow out the cobwebs from daily commuting in the X5 bus - great car the new x5 by the way

what about the 100k milers ??

yeah thought about the vantage too - but they don't handle as the 911 ??

really interested to hear of others buying decisions

Gen 2 is a major leap from gen 1.

I've had 2 Gen 1's (coupe and cab) and now got a gen 2 PDK.

The interior is much more upto date.

Touchscreen sat nav and bluetooth etc.

I really don't think that there is any other car that you can put next to a 911 and have a direct comparison....

You could go for a turbo?

Or what about a 993?

Back to a 997 will feel like an old friend, but a bit boring to go back, you will quickly get familiar with it and might not feel special. Have to go for a step up in some way - turbo maybe? Maybe a targa - interesting. Maybe the new boxster, cayman - they look fantastic!

Others to consider, different but in the £30-40k budget and holding their value:
Lotus Evora (values are static and nice and rare)
Alfa 4c (over £40k) - just go to Alfaworks to get handling sorted and it's a mini supercar!
Everything else has shot up in value... incl. turbos and 993s :(
If not using it much - stretch to a boxster spyder maybe?

yes for a weekend driver a boxster is very good and you'll be amazed at the spec and performance of the newer moels
i thought about mentioning a lotus but just dont have the confidence in them for reliability and for 50-60k dont think much of the interior

For me the only comparables to a 911 at the £40-50k that can also take the missus to the shops were Audi R8, AM Vanquish oh and Jag F Type

Gen 2 or Metz turbo is obviously a safe bet and better investments but in my view i dont think they look like a £50-60k when you can buy a very similar looking car for £20k and think you are into other supercar territory at that bracket.

its a tuff decision and all are great cars but i usually just end up going for the one I enjoy most and doesnt tie up too much money :D

So I've set a budget of £20,000 and a minimum of 350bhp and had a flick through PH.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...-stroked-ls3-engined-z3m-roadster/5817205?v=c

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...a-1999-supercharged-reduced-price/5492807?v=c

And as I have a soft spot for Honda S2000's (had one from new or 8 years) I would be getting this for what is a very small amount of money!
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/honda/s2000/turbo-s2000-sr20det-350-bhp/5831159?v=c

But if it's just dry sunny day hooning around purposes
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/westfield/other-models/westfield-1998/5906533?v=c

Or get the Hartech rebuilt one above, which is a bargain and bullet proof. Yes, Hartech rebuilds can cost £13k.......

cheers guys

there is some serious speed around for little money - but the 997 is def the most complete car

we all know you can drive across the continent and be fresh or blat it around the local b roads

I think I might be coming round to a porker again

the one in the advert is sold - first to see bought - so there is still a market post Brex

If you're happy to splash £50k I reckon a 997 Turbo would give you all that you want. 997 Carrera familiarity with 120 bhp more. :D

Keep it for a couple of years and you shouldn't lose anything in depreciation.

:thumb:

seeforez said:
Scholester said:

£13k for a hartech rebuild....really ?
This boat has sailed! Actually it sailed onto my drive yesterday.

TVR?? now your talking Stokie. its a totally different drive;-certainly a griff or chimera will feel a little primitive compared to a porker- but by Christ will you feel alive!! and contrary to what you may think- the suspension and handling can be sorted. Early tuscans are cheap but give you the impression they want to hurl you into the nearest field and the interior is bonkers for bonkers sake; later ones (Tuscan2) are much much better, but they have rocketed in price recently. which brings us to T350s, Tamoras and Sagaris`s. the latter are now as expensive as a small Caribbean island. The first 2 are remarkable value at the moment, handle well out of the box and the speed 6 unit installed should be sorted by this time in its life. live a little! :bye:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike 964 speedster
Back