Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dans 996 C2 project

Dsmithmobile

Silverstone
Hi there,

thought i'd start a little project thread

i've always been a porsche fan and always thought i'd get myself a 964 when the prices bottomed out but unfortunately at the time i wasn't in a position to buy one and as the prices have gone beyond what i'm willing to pay I started to think i'd never end up in a porsche.

i never really gave much thought to a 996 until a friend bought one and then i started to look at them differently, i started looking on the net and watching videos etc i eventually decided i was going to get one to scratch the itch.

i had been on the lookout for a 996 since the new year and it was taking a while as i was trying to find a specific spec but then after some deliberating
i decided that i could live without certain things but the key points were that it had to be

seal grey,manual and have black interior

eventually i ended up buying this 2003 996.2 C2

so far i'm loving it and i'm hoping it will be good to me because after all the researching i did and reading various horror stories i'm still a bit paranoid when driving it and find myself constantly looking at oil pressure and temp gauge but fingers crossed that subsides and i can just sit back,relax and enjoy it without worrying about every slight noise lol

first few things that need sorting are to get my friend to machine polish it as the paintwork has numerous surface scratches and could do with a general clean up then get a couple of small car park dings removed and then just keep it maintained.

then i'll move on to fitting coilovers but I will only be running what would be seen as budget coilovers which I appreciate won't be a popular decision with people on the forum but I don't drive the car hard and it will never end up on a track,I just can't justify the prices for the higher end kits,I just want to remove the arch gap as i think it looks like its on stilts haha
Once lowered i'll test fit my eta beta wheels which i've had for a number of years and were previously fitted to my octavia eek
they currently have black centres

They will be split and the lips will be re polished and the centres will be painted seal grey,then I'll fit some decent sized tires,not sure if they will suit the 996 but they were my favourite wheel on a 964 so heres hoping but if I do like them on the car they will only be run through the summer months then the sport designs will go back on.

future plans will be to
paint seat backs and handbrake console seal grey
re trim steeing wheel and make it a bit thicker as i think it feels a bit slim

and eventually i may look into buying the aero kit parts as i think it makes the car look much more aggressive with the kit :)

Great stuff, should be fun!

Instead of cheap coil-overs (which can be a hassle and fals economy), why not just try shortening springs? Eibach/H&S stuff is good, or even just by an M030 kit from Porsche - a great compromise for surprisingly little money?

Nice looking car in a great colour.

They sit nicely on the H&R springs. Rather that than cheap coil overs.

Good luck, nice looking car will watch with interest. My sons currently finishing off a 968 CS replica and has hinted he wants to get a 996 next. No doubt he will mod as well😀

Dan, nice car and the start of an interesting thread to follow. As lee says consider springs rather than cheap coil overs, as the springs will lose the arch gap but wont make the ride track hard as coil overs will.
Do the research as they all lower different amounts, I used techart springs they are a bit more money but the ride quality is the same as stock and they lower less than others ,as I didn't want it sitting right up in the wheel arch like a nova or similar, I just wanted to lose the gap in the arch. Dont forget spacers to finish the planted look
What other mods are you planning. :thumb: :grin:

Seal Grey 996 :cloud9:

When it's properly polished it will look absolutely gawjuss.

If I could buy back the car I sold in 2013 for the same money I got for it I'd do it in a shot.

ps. I really like the colour and style of wheels that you've already got on the car.

Thanks for the replies and to be honest I knew the responses would be to just use springs to lower it and appreciate your only trying to help but I don't want to go that route simply because I'd spend money on springs and find they don't get the car sitting how I'd like it then I'd have to spend again on different springs and strip the suspension down again so would rather chance it with the coilovers as that way I can adjust the height until I'm happy with it :)
I appreciate that people may think it will ruin the comfort and handling but to be honest I've always had cars with coilovers so I'm used to how they ride especially when silly low as you can see from the octavia when it was on the eta beta split rims.

With the 996 it won't be going silly low,I've grown up a bit since then and I just want to have no arch gap so coilovers is the way forward for me and then I can keep adjusting until I'm happy and then play with the spacing of the wheels to suit.

I know it won't go down very well with people on the forum and it will no doubt be seen by many that I'm ruining the car but different strokes for different folks and all that lol

I'll put some pics up for those interested when progress is made but It may take a bit of time due to funds and time constraints.

Nice car Dan. Hope you enjoy it.

Your plan is identical to mine apart from the coilovers. I plan to paint seat backs and console and hopefully gather the Aerokit parts. Mines a 996.1 though so don't worry, I won't be outbidding you on eBay. :grin:

You'll get decent money for your current wheels if you sell them. If they're 7.5 fronts you'll get ok money. If they're 8 inch fronts you can get a bit more. 10 inch rears obviously.

I'll be watching with interest. :thumb:

Dan, It's your car and your taste mate so do what floats your boat, I only mentioned springs as they are cheaper than coil overs and from the looks of your car you haven't got any more than 25/30mm arch to tyre clearance anyway. but if you have ride hight OCD then as you say coil overs will allow you to get it just right for you.
I will be interested to see how it looks when you have got it how you want .
:thumb: :grin:

Absolutely right Dan its your car mod it to suit you. I love low car looks so will be interested to see how it turns out. Saw a 964 slammed and it looked awesome 👍

Thanks again for the comments guys :)

I will plod on with it as and when and I'll add pics along the way :D

enjoy the slippery slope :thumb:

Coilovers are ordered and on route :)

I know that there not a popular choice on the forum but the deed is done so I'll see what there like,but can't imagine the ride will be any worse than what I've experienced in the past with previous coilovers.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kashmir
Back