Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Custom wheel specs - 996.1 C2

reds12

Hello all,

Appreciate this has been done to death but any recent thoughts or insights would be greatly received. I am not an expert in this so seems dangerous to proceed without putting it out to the masses first! Story goes: I am conversing with a company who can make custom sized wheels.

The suggestion I have had from them for specs is as follows (believe based on a gen2 car):
F: 18" 8J ET41 (presume 225/40 or wider?)
R: 18" 11J ET59 (presume 295/30?)

Current Spec:
Car = 996.1 C2 Bilstein B8 & H&R 30mm springs, X74 setup (no aerokit, rear arches not rolled)
F: 7J 205/50/17 ET55
R: 9J 255/40/17 ET55

I don't really want to go to 11s on the rear (don't need more grip!) so a 8/10 combination seems like a good compromise? I don't want to over-tyre, and I am reluctant to move away from 17s but 18 seems like a better choice for tyres, etc. I'm not tracking the car and wish to retain a 'fast road' X74 type setup. Arches can be rolled if necessary but I suppose I am trying to avoid that unless convinced otherwise.

This leads me to what I'm currently thinking:

F: 8J ET41 225/40/18
R: 10J ET50 265/35/18

Does that sound at all sensible/plausible/worth doing? I'd simply buy some LMs if I could a) find some b) afford them(!)

I am drawing on inspiration from others and how the car feels currently, which is great but I hate the look of my wheels (std C4 17s), one quite bent, and they tuck a great deal. Like I say, I'm not an expert so any view is appreciated - if this is a horrible idea it's fine to say so!

Thanks for reading this far and any input is greatly valued
Will :thumbs:

This is what I have on my 996.1 if it is of any help:

8J ET50 (15mm spacers = ET35) 225/40R18
10J ET65 (15mm spacers = ET50) 295/30R18

M030 shocks with Eibach -30mm springs & X74 geo.
I rolled the rear arches due to tyre contact with the rear arches when I was carrying a passenger but might not have needed it as I later had an X74 alignment (more rear negative camber) and may have solved the issue.

Wheels offsets look fine to mine and wouldn't want them in/out any more.

Yes that is helpful, thanks. Sounds positive for a 265/35 and no arch rolling, have -1^35 rear camber currently. How pokey (technical term) are your fronts?

Thanks and yes that video is guilty of making me consider this more! Lots of great info though and has been useful to compare against

Similar tp 911munKey:

Standard size and offset 18" wheels but using 9mm spacers. Happy with that look. Also have H&R and Bilstein B8's.

vVGNmCO.jpg

Gives you an idea......

3KVoQt4.jpg

Used to have 18 x 11" ET63. which looked like this:

FsiN2Ip.jpg

Fronts are all standard 18 x 8" ET 50's but the Fuchs have the 9mm spacer.

Cheers James

The sweet spot for having wheels in line with arches is 10in et40 and 8.5in et40. Depends if you want that or a slight tuck.

I've run slightly less with 265/35 and 225/40.

With a 10in rear around et45 is nice, same with 8.5in front.

Thanks both, that helps! And to James for the pics too, car looks excellent!

Mine is a non aero car so a slight reduction on that I think would be ideal. Think I'm pretty settled on the 41/50ET 8/10J with 225/265 tyres - seems like the best compromise for what I'm after.

I'll keep researching but am quite close to ordering me thinks! :thumb:

Attachments

• img_1935_274.jpg
    img_1935_274.jpg
    877.1 KB · Views: 887
reds12 said:
Yes that is helpful, thanks. Sounds positive for a 265/35 and no arch rolling, have -1^35 rear camber currently. How pokey (technical term) are your fronts?

Not 'pokey' at all, they sit a smidge (technical term) further in than the rears. :)

911munKy said:
reds12 said:
Not 'pokey' at all, they sit a smidge (technical term) further in than the rears. :)

Thanks for that!

So spanner in the works, they can only do the 10" in a ET47 so suggested 11" with ET59 would be safer for fitment.

Presumably that means I'll have to go for a 275/285+ tyre?! Just when I'd made the decision too, damn!

I personally think that you'll be fine with an ET47 on a 10" wide wheel, it will be 3mm more 'out' than mine but I'm using 295 tyres and your preferred 265 are less wide.

If you use a 11" wide wheel then you would really want to use a wider tyre, probably 285+ as you state. ET59 is 9mm more 'in' than mine (ET50) but the extra 1" width should make the rim stick out 1/2" more so almost the same as the 10" wheel.

All assuming that I've got my wheel maths correct, there are online wheel size calculators that you can use to compare and give your brain an easy time!

https://www.willtheyfit.com/wheels/

Thanks both! Spent far too long on willtheyfit so it's been helpful to get some actual feedback. Like you say 3mm is hardly a massive change.

Well I've ordered them now so they'll have to fit, I'll report back in 4-6 weeks :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
concept303
Back