Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ceramic pad replacement on 991.1 turbo s

wilpert

Indianapolis
I recently had an 8 year service on my turbo s.
At the same time I had a mot which it passed with no advisories.
The car has around 32k miles on it and it seems as if it's been pretty well loved in past ownership.

Anyway, the technician said I have about 9mm left if the brake pads. He then went in to say that he's never had to change a set of ceramics. I accept it could be that he's not been doing the job for long or that he just hasn't seen many turbos.

I was toying with the idea of selling the car, I put it out to a couple of people and one buyer (I won't name them but they are often named in here as decent people to trade with and I have dealt with them before) said, we have a policy if not buying cars with ceramic brakes.

Now I'm paranoid😳
I could have bothered to tell them what I'd just been told at the Porsche dealership but it didn't seem worth it as I don't need to sell to them.

Is 9mm plenty and average for a 32k car?

I think it is plenty as long as you don't track it. My understanding is that the new pad thickness is around 12mm.
Brake paranoia is one reason I sold mine :nooo:

Oh ok, that makes sense.
So it sounds like they might burn around 1mm per 10k miles covered depending on driving style.

I've googled what replacement costs for ceramic brakes and it seems eye watering but I've also heard that they can last for a very long time so I'm not going to get too depressed over it.

I was taken by surprise that the trader had a rule that he didn't buy cars with them though.

The pads are not that expensive but the rotors are very.
If the pads wear out over 50% it's best to replace them to avoid damage to the discs as such.

Keep on top of changing the pads, as suggested, and the car might not need discs until 100k+ miles.

The discs themselves are hard to assess for wear and most dealers won't want to take them off to weigh them.

Unless you deal in GT cars or really need to sell a 911 Turbo S, it would be easy for a dealer to avoid cars with PCCBs. You don't see many normal 911s with them.

Oh ok, well with my average 6k a year I'll be pushing 70 by the time I need to get panicking.

I do love the braking power of the pccbs and I'm not planning to do track days so I'll settle for 100k miles.

How much are a set of pads from OPC? Has anyone had them changed?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravioli
Back