Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ceramic Coating, how hard can it be!

easternjets said:
Did you find it straight forward to apply once you'd cut the paintwork back?

Yes it was very easy to apply and remove, just ensure you don't leave the product on too long.

The whole process took me about 3 days, so not a quick job, but I did have a bit of trouble with the luggage compartment cover/bonnet. It was a real pain to cut and remove some marks so that took me a good while to sort out.

The instruction for the products I used are on the website links below.

https://www.carboncollective.com/product/platinum-paint-ceramic-coating/

https://carboncollective.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Platinum-Paint-Instructions.pdf

And thanks for the kind comments regarding the car, it does look fantastic, I'm very pleased with the results.

johntyboy said:
easternjets said:
Did you find it straight forward to apply once you'd cut the paintwork back?

Yes it was very easy to apply and remove, just ensure you don't leave the product on too long.

I would recommend you stick to the instructions for your product. That said, at low'ish temps like we have now, you will have plenty of time to remove the product. Personally I would wait around 30 secs and you will start to see the carrier / solvent start to flash / evaporate, then buff off with light pressure. A little of these products goes a long way and you should have plenty for 2 coats of EVO.

I see your CSL product (similar to most DIY coatings) is designed to be removed with a compound, so worse case, if it does dry and you have a high spot, it is easily resolved. Once you've done one panel your confidence will quickly grow, just take your time :thumbs:

One final tip - fold your microfibre into quarters and rotate it to a fresh side for each section you apply. Once all sides are spent, throw it immediately in a bucket of warm water or throw it away. Once the coating fully dries / cures on fibres it crystalizes / hardens and obviously renders the towel useless for re-use on your now lovely paintwork!

I personally think that Ceramic coating is worth every penny when done by a reputable person/company.

I have had 3 cars done now over the last 6 years, when you think the coating is past its sell by date - return to get another coat on it, you will then 'HOPEFULLY' find that it is only the ceramic coating that is showing 'LIGHT' swirl marks and not the cars clear coat paint, so previously I only had to pay for product eraser treatment and the re-apply another coat of ceramic. This then obviously saves the paints clear coat / paint getting more machine polishing and prolonging the original paint.

@easternjets we were in different camps when we met regarding CC and PPF, I hope that once you treat the car ( GREAT JOB SO FAR) you will see its benefits, the PPF is great for protecting the paint but takes the appreciation away from a polished finish.

Cheers G

I am no means an expert on paintwork but as I see it we have this..

Primer (etc...), Base Coat then finally the lacquer to protect the Base Coat.

When you get get your car detailed to remove swirls and scratches then what's really happening.. some of the clear coat is been removed, yes this is a bad thing but good in other respects too as it restores the finish back to normal as new.

With these coatings be it sealant then waxing or ceramic, YES there not a replacement for Lacquer yes they do provide some protection in a form or another.

With the traditional method of sealant & waxing then yes they do work and involve some hard work but results are really good, but they wear away depending upon how you use the car and subject it to elements and wash and care for it.

For ceramic coatings, then I think of these as another hard coating for lacquer... (yes not quite as same but a harder barrier..). They are not scratch proof as they all claim and will scratch, again depending upon maintenance and how you look after the car's surface.

Yes ceramic coatings do have all this hydrophobic properties etc... and so do waxing's but I think the import thing is, when you get scratches then you are just polishing them out of the ceramic coating and not the lacquer coating...

Again I am no expert for sure and maybe I speak total BS here but there has to be some truth in the above..

I have always thought then why cannot you apply a descent wax on top, ppl and so called experts say that its a waste of time as it looses it hydrophobic properties, but I say it all depends upon how you use the car and look after it, why not I say !!

Yes it will provide an additional protective layer to the ceramic coating but then how far does one go... the way I see it is this, its your car and if you do it properly then do it.

I purchased the Gyeon Q2 Syncro beginning of the year and still need to apply it, I will still be applying wax afterwards because I want to maintain its shine and also add a little protection too...

I know ppl will say this is a waste of time but you do know that you still have to add maintenance / protection to ceramic coatings, some are in the form as a spray etc....

Anyway that's my thought on the subject and am interested in other ppl's thoughts too

Well a quick update on progress so far.

Got the car MOP'd and polished but my products hadn't arrived by Saturday AM, so as I was wanting the car finished by Monday I borrowed the bottles of Serum and Exo V4 from a friend. Ultimate Finish who are supplying the product have taken 5 days just to dispatch it, apparently it's in their terms and cond's and also it's the busiest week for on line orders so I'll let them off this time.

1st thing you need with this job is a lot of patience, you've got to get your panels/bodywork to the condition you want them keeping in, I know this seems obvious but it does take a lot of buffing/wiping and rebuffing to get a mirror like finish especially on a black car that's 18 yrs old.
Second thing you need is a warm garage. Then you need lots of microfibre cloths, some panel wipe (very important) an LED torch and plenty of time.

So I got the panels done and I had an issue with the bonnet, as I mentioned before it's been resprayed but as I've been buffing it some areas have gone a bit 'milky' white so I'm going to have see if I can restore it. The rest of the car is in pretty good shape.

So once your ready to apply the Serum you wipe the panel off with the solvent panel wipe, buff it up then get the pad/applicator which comes in the box along with some gloves. There is a dropper in the box and you put a full dropper's worth onto the pad and then just wipe it on, it goes on very easily and you start to see the solvent evaporate and leave the coating. Then you just get a fresh micro fibre cloth and buff it, polish it till it has a nice sheen and then move onto the next panel, remembering to use a fresh cloth for each panel.
It really is that simple, wipe it on then buff it off. Do a panel at a time or half a panel if it's large like a bonnet, it doesn't matter if you overlap as it just buffs off.

I've left mine overnight in the garage and then this morning I put the Exo V4 on, this the hydrophobic coating and it applies in the same way and again you just buff it up to a shine. Apparently you have to leave 4 hrs before the second coat of Exo V4, you need 2 coats apparently to get the finish right. You can feel straight away how silky smooth the panels feel and if you rest a cloth on a wing it just slips straight off.

I got the 30 ml bottles of Serum and Exo V4 and I have half a bottle of Serum left over and I think the Exo will be used up after I do the second coat, plus I need to sort the bonnet out which I'm in the process of doing.
Obviously on a new or newer car there should be less paint damage so you will probably get away with a MOP using fine compound and then wipe off and apply the Serum.

It is a time consuming job and that's why most people will say sod it I'll get the 'pro' to do it which is fair enough. As I said this was an exercise to see how easy/hard it would be and in all honesty I've saved £500 and I'd not think twice about tackling a new car, it's the preparation that makes it a good or bad job not the application of the product, that's the easy bit.

i'll post pictures when I can get the car outside in the day light.

Finished the job and I'm well chuffed with the result, more so because it worked.
The problem with the bonnet was that the panel wipe/solvent reacted with the paint and made it bloom, so I gave it a once over with the MOP and it came back straight away.
Did the headlights as well as I'd had a go at them earlier in the year but didn't have the polisher to finish them off. Gave them a going over with coarse then fine then a coat of Ceramic to seal them.
Needs to get the wheels polished up and a few other little bits done and I might have a go at selling it.
About 3 days work and £80 for the G-Tech product. Cost if I'd put it into a detailers, probably £500.

Attachments

• 20201130_141807_194.jpg
    20201130_141807_194.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4,349
  • 20201130_141911_110.jpg
    20201130_141911_110.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4,349
  • 20201130_141822_436.jpg
    20201130_141822_436.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4,349
easternjets said:
Finished the job and I'm well chuffed with the result, more so because it worked.
The problem with the bonnet was that the panel wipe/solvent reacted with the paint and made it bloom, so I gave it a once over with the MOP and it came back straight away.
Did the headlights as well as I'd had a go at them earlier in the year but didn't have the polisher to finish them off. Gave them a going over with coarse then fine then a coat of Ceramic to seal them.
Needs to get the wheels polished up and a few other little bits done and I might have a go at selling it.
About 3 days work and £80 for the G-Tech product. Cost if I'd put it into a detailers, probably £500.

Congrats, looks like it was definitely worth the effort and a great selling point too! :thumbs: :worship:

Nice work Nick, looks bloody amazing!! :thumbs:

Looks good Nick, as they say practice makes perfect so can only get better on next attempt.

I have your old car booked in for Jan for a 2 stage polish and Ballistic ceramic coating, there is a accredited installer in Stornoway, so when it up for its MOT I will drop it off after, thankfully Stornoway prices are somewhat cheaper than mainland detailers.

Looks great Nick.

Funny we both had issues with the bonnet. Think a lot of my issues was the panel wipe blooming too.

Kind regards.

That's a good move, just don't let them go to mad with the polisher as it's pretty much mark free so will only need a finishing compound.

Are you going to remove the PPF?

easternjets said:
That's a good move, just don't let them go to mad with the polisher as it's pretty much mark free so will only need a finishing compound.

Are you going to remove the PPF?

Yes the paint is in great condition, so yes its just a finishing detail.

Going to keep the PPF, he is going to heat and heal the few stone marks that on the PPF.

Looking good!! Definitely worth it, saved a bundle and you have the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself :thumb: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back