Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Carport

Paulb33

Monza
There's been a few threads on car storage but seeking fresh views.

How would a 993 fair in a carport?

We've long since converted our double garage into a gym etc. with the family Disco sitting on the drive. There's a lean-to carport attached, which has a concrete base, roof and two enclosed sides it's got power for a trickle charger etc.. The bikes over winter in there and do suffer from surface corrosion.

I realise it's not ideal for a £££ classic but can I make this work with a few smart mitigations? Could a well ventilated carport actually be better than a cold garage?

I think a carport where the vehicle is mainly protected from rain is better than a damp cold garage. Everything used to rust in my garage until I added a dehumidifier.

I used to keep an old BMW in a car port without any problems....

WUC21aT.jpg

jonttt said:
I used to keep an old BMW in a car port without any problems....

WUC21aT.jpg

Italian ventilation system?

Paulb33 said:
We've long since converted our double garage into a gym etc.

Sacrilege!!! :grin:

When the hosts of property programs suggest that to would be buyers I have to fight the urge to smash my TV.

And now you're paying the price for your actions. :hand:

Outdoor Carcoon in a carport or just left outside. Then professional storage from November til March.

Carports are pretty pointless. And ugly. Not that a Carcoon isn't but it's a lot more temporary.

hopeydaze said:
I think a carport where the vehicle is mainly protected from rain is better than a damp cold garage. Everything used to rust in my garage until I added a dehumidifier.

You're right there mind.
Until we move house or I build my dream garage if we stay, I'm stuck with a leaky old timber thing.
Sometimes I go in and my motorbike engine casings are soaking wet.

Luckily I've got a Carcoon for my 911 but that comes with it's own drawbacks such as not being able to just pull the car out and work in the garage. I don't want to be sawing or spray painting in my clean Carcoon.

Next winter my 911 will go into professional storage and my 205 GTi will get the Carcoon. My old Volvo T5 will then get the outdoor carcoon my 205 would have been in during summer. But that has to be taken down if we get more 100mph winds like Arwen.

Double post but I'll use it to say that when I think of carports I think of some horrible plastic roofed thing on a pensioner's bungalow, often with the drainpipe feeding into a water butt for their gardening. :D

I think that the main difference in terms of corrosion may be that of ventilation reducing condensation build up, which seems to be the main asset that a car port has over a garage.. :?:

Epping forest District Council decided that I cannot have a garage, despite every other house in the close having one already, my house was built on the end of the others some 6 years ago and to have a garage in front would "spoil the street scene"
The truth is they didn't even want my house built there let alone a house with a garage.

I am tempted to go for plan B, an oak car port with all the trimmings but it needs to be done in a way that wont raise eyebrows from the neighbours.
I am working on it :lol:

Rust loves humidity and stationary air, so a carport ought to fair better than a 'normal' garage (without heat/moisture control).

A carport with ventilation ought to be a safe bet.

Marky911 said:
Paulb33 said:
We've long since converted our double garage into a gym etc.

Sacrilege!!! :grin:

Well, it's now heated, air-conditioned, ply-lined & fully insulated BUT with the doors left fully operational. So, we only need to shift the exercise gear if I DID want to use it as a garage. We did this with one eye to future resell.

(Depending on the carport feedback here, I may just use the garage for the 993.....)

Marky911 said:
Double post but I'll use it to say that when I think of carports I think of some horrible plastic roofed thing on a pensioner's bungalow, often with the drainpipe feeding into a water butt for their gardening. :D

I hear ya, but this isn't that. Pop a 993 in it and the kerb appeal will be peerless.....

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back