Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brief review of recently fitted IPD Plenum

mcbit

Nurburgring
I have read with interest over the years the many and varied opinions in respect of the efficacy of the IPD plenum and have been considering purchase for some time. What finally persuaded me to buy was the comment from Ken at 9 excellence who merely stated "I don' t fit any thing which doesn't work."

I have a 2004 996 turbo tip fitted with hybrid turbos, 5 bar FPR and a 1.1 bar remap.

I purchased the 68 mm plenum directly from IPD and had it fitted last week. I have driven the car about 500 kms since then on the type of roads which I think have given me a good idea of the effectiveness of the plenum.

From a subjective "butt dyno" point of view, I cannot say "Wow! This is a killer" but whilst trying to be objective, my observations are as follows:

1. There seems to be a little more torque available "off boost"
2. Power delivery is smoother throughout the rev range and I seem to have lost the torque spike at around 4000 rpm which made the steering go very light.
3. Before installation boost would always reads 1. 1 bar for a period on a hard pull in 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th gears. The time spent at peak boost was brief but long enough to know that it wasn't just spiking. and it would drop off to 1.0 bar or 0.9bar before a red line upshift.
4. After installation peak boost (1.1 bar) is achieved earlier in the rev range and now holds solid through red line upshifts.

In conclusion, even without the evidence from a dyno run, it is clear to me that this plenum installation run has made an easily noticeable difference to the performance of the car and I have given no consideration to taking IPD up on their of their offer of a 30 day money back guarantee.

I'm a happy camper!

Thanks for the feedback, IPD plenums seem to be the order of the day at the moment.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geoff993
Back