Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Breakdown (European included) cover now ADAC cannot be used?

Senoj said:
My classic line Insurance policy included UK and EU breakdown cover as standard. Homestart too in the UK.

Yeah, I know you did not want it tied up with Insurance, but Classicline are really good IMO and include EU breakdown cover. They will always try to pricematch, policy renewal costs hardly change each year and they are really easy to deal with.

As another Insurance option, LV covered me for European recovery for £54 on top of my Insurance policy.

I had to use it on my daily recently, and worked out as well as possible,they arrived in 45 minutes, dropped me off at a local garage, and moved it again for free the next day to another garage that could look at the problem in a more timely manner. This was in the UK however.

Policy doesn't seem to have any daft exclusions, see here

It's arranged via Brittania rescue so maybe they could do something direct.

Jamie said:
Teffers said:
Jamie said:
I'd never had any bother getting cover with ADAC, then a couple of years ago they just said they wouldn't renew my policy anymore. Can't think why :roll:

It's not Brexit if that's what you think.

The change applied to everyone outside outside Germany, not just the Brits.

Yeah I take it back - I've just checked and you now need a German address. Apparently if you are an existing member outside Germany you can carry on being a member but if you call them out, once your yearly membership is up they won't renew it.

Have you got a link to the European breakdown on that site Teffers? I might be being a bit thick but I can only see U.K.

GEM don't do Euro cover unfortunately, just UK on the person and no age limit on the vehicle.
Hence me using the RAC for per car per day Euro cover.

As Alex has just realised (after no doubt using his car for long trips to the South of France that possibly weren't covered) you MUST check the vehicle age limit restrictions on these things.

Another incredibly important clause to check for is the "If the repatriation costs are more than the value of the car" type clauses too. Some policies won't recover in that scenario. You can imagine the costs for a family of four to have hotels/flights etc at short notice, wouldn't take much to rack up a serious bill!

I'm off on holiday in a couple of weeks to France. Just revisited my travel pack Ts & Cs with Barclays and they've now taken the car age restriction off so it looks like I'll be covered with RAC. I'll contact them and double check but worth checking out if anyone is wanting European cover on an old car.

I went with RAC , it cost me £185 for three weeks in Spain , France. Looking at ones like LV, they have a clause about vehicles must be maintained with manufactures schedules and can ask for proof. Well as mine as are self maintained. I have no proof, so don't want a potential 3k bill for recovery.

Alex said:
Just had a good read and spotted they've added this in which wasn't in when I took it out 2 years ago. Just off to cancel it!!! :nooo:

Your eligible vehicle must also:

- be under 11 years old at the start of the
journey

Cars, motorcycles 121cc or over, estate cars, MPVà­s or 4 x 4 sport utility vehiles which are aged 11 years and over may be covered on payment of a supplement, which will be collected at the time of breakdown.

Just catching up on this thread and saw this message. I have the Barclays travel pack so this is of interest. Is this for European breakdown cover only or UK too? I can't see that text in the T&Cs.

It's UK and Europe, covered by the RAC. I'm just in the process of finding out if there's an age limit on the car as I've read on a couple of forums there isn't anymore.

Watch this space.

Thanks Alex, much appreciated. I live in slight fear of the car breaking down somewhere and not being able to get some to come and rescue me!

I've just called RAC about the Barclays travel pack I have. I'm fully covered across Europe on any age car, even if I'm just the passenger. So for £12.50 per month (min 6 months contract) I have personal holiday Insurance and breakdown cover for the UK & Europe.

Think this is probably by far the best option out there for people doing Euro trips in older cars. :thumbs:

Got home Sunday from a Porsche themed group trip to Germany, Austria and Czech Republic in my Boxster. I had RAC per trip cover and needed to call on them as had rear tyre issues in Prague. Long story so won't cover here but basically unknown geo issue resulted in both tyres toasted and needed urgent replacement.

Couple of points from my experience. Firstly response and support was swift and good, only issue is dealing through an agent in France met lots of repeat conversations.

BIG learning point. Tyre related issues excluded as mechanical breakdown so cover limited to changing tyres or get you to tyre depot but will not repatriate the car if no tyres available. Fortunately they managed to locate a suitable pair of PS2s within a day and we were up and running. Could have been very different.

I have no experience of standalone breakdown policies, but I have my classic car Insurance with Heritage and that has the option to add European breakdown cover for £42 (12 months cover).
On the occasion I've had to use it, it was very good.
Might be an option for those driving older models which might qualify for classic car Insurance?

Alex said:
I've just called RAC about the Barclays travel pack I have. I'm fully covered across Europe on any age car, even if I'm just the passenger. So for £12.50 per month (min 6 months contract) I have personal holiday Insurance and breakdown cover for the UK & Europe.

Think this is probably by far the best option out there for people doing Euro trips in older cars. :thumbs:

I think I'm inclined to agree with you :thumb:

Thanks for the update Alex! Good to know.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back