Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Arch liner screws - anything better than OEM?

MeltonMowbray

Trainee
The screws securing my arch liners to the car are looking a little corroded so I was thinking of replacing them next time I have them out rather than try get them back in.

Is there a better alternative to the OEM offerings - maybe something less likely to corrode - or is it best to just stick with the stock offering?

I think it's items 4, 5 & 6 in the diagram below.

https://www.design911.co.uk/pages/diagramsBrowser.aspx?categoryID=8&diagramID=3481

Stock offering but coat them in wax oil or something similar .. trust me these are an absolute pain to remove when they corrode .. i've broken many a torx screw bit on these or had to " cut them off "

wax oil does work though .

link doesn't show anything but T20 , 25 and T30 are the standard sizes depending on where they are fitted .

I replaced all the fixings last year but got them sand blasted and zinc plated to prevent corrosion. Did the rear cross braces at the same time. Then spray painted all the parts with black smoothrite paint to keep the oe look.

Thanks for the replies! Input an order in for replacement OEM bolts last night along with a few other clips and bits for little jobs here and there.

Is a dollop of waxoyl from the tin good enough for these or better with one of the sprays? I wasn't sure on the efficiency of the spray last time I used it but that was a few years ago.

Zinc coating sounds ideal - if I had other bits to be done I'd have asked about that!

Whenever I take any out; i shove them in my drill and whizz them against some wet & dry to remove the rust, then prime & paint. once dry; I waxoyl the threads and under the head, and do the corresponding clips, before re-fitting, then paint them in waxoyl once fitted

MeltonMowbray said:
Thanks for the replies! Input an order in for replacement OEM bolts last night along with a few other clips and bits for little jobs here and there.

Is a dollop of waxoyl from the tin good enough for these or better with one of the sprays? I wasn't sure on the efficiency of the spray last time I used it but that was a few years ago.

Zinc coating sounds ideal - if I had other bits to be done I'd have asked about that!

Comma "Wax Seal" works well for me. My car is pretty much held together with that stuff.

You can either apply a light spray (for things like fixings) or can go to town on it and build up the layers. The only word of warning is that it is a pain in the a55 to remove (you can remove light coats with white spirits but a thick coat will need thinners to remove).

At the end of the day you just need to stop them rusting over time .. a spray can of wax oil will do the job .. i deal with 10 years plus cars and fixings that have never been touched ..

Depending on how the car is used and stored and some still come out with no issues whilst coastal cars and i know i'm going to be grinding them down to remove .

use whatever method you wish but with new screws i would expect them to still be ok with no treatment after 6 plus years .. coastal cars and less !!

I'll also add .. you have studs with plastic 10mm nuts .. a spray of wax oil on these will help stop the studs corroding .. that means they are less likely to snap off when people like me try to remove the undertrays .

deMort said:
At the end of the day you just need to stop them rusting over time .. a spray can of wax oil will do the job .. i deal with 10 years plus cars and fixings that have never been touched ..

Depending on how the car is used and stored and some still come out with no issues whilst coastal cars and i know i'm going to be grinding them down to remove .

use whatever method you wish but with new screws i would expect them to still be ok with no treatment after 6 plus years .. coastal cars and less !!

I'll also add .. you have studs with plastic 10mm nuts .. a spray of wax oil on these will help stop the studs corroding .. that means they are less likely to snap off when people like me try to remove the undertrays .

A few seconds with a heat gun on the plastic 10mm nuts stops the studs breaking off

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
e46m3
Back