Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 driven without coolant reservoir cap fitted

Gottans

Spa-Francorchamps
After a little bit of advice if possible.

My 997.2 has inadvertently been driven for approx. 25 miles without the coolant cap fitted and as a result it has lost coolant. With the engine cold the level is about 5mm below the minimum mark. No overheating warnings were seen but the oil was hotter than normal, no idea what the water temp was showing.

Can anyone advise if it is likely the engine may have suffered as a result and is it is likely any air has got into the cooling system/pipes and lastly whether it is advisable to drive it.

The engine is the 3.8 with approx 50k miles on it.

Any help appreciated.

If your water temp gauge wasn't off the scale with the red light flashing like crazy at you then you should be fine.

As per what Alex said .. no overheat light for the coolant and the engine will be fine .

I would have thought you would lose a fair bit of coolant though .. either way .. top it up .. run it up to temp . leave overnight to cool down then check in the morning .

Air locks tend to come out when a hot engine is left over night basically .. not always but mostly .

deMort, Alex,

Thank you for the re-assurance, it is appreciated and just for clarity it wasn't my mistake.

Thanks.

Who ever did it .. it doesn't matter .. it happens .

Trust me when i say .. Mechanics never judge people by mistakes ..

I did an entire post on tell the garage the truth as they really don't care what happened .. they just want to find a fault ... even if you did reverse jump start the car .

And .. if a mechanic ever says he's never made a mistake .. lets just say i would disagree with him .. and we are professionals .

Yep, ***** does indeed happen; several years my wife noticed a bunch of oil under her car after she'd driven to her hobby straight from a simple service at the dealer, as the tech had inadvertently left the oil cap off and ---- you can guess the rest. It's easy to think the worst.

The engine was ultimately shown to be fine, as it was not overheated or run dry, but there were some red faces, some taxis, an Insurance company, the lease company and a flat bed all involved. As well as a lot of engine cleaning and new under bonnet heat insulation.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back