Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911 Turbo S - Oil and Coolant Temp

timohara

Hi All

I've just taken delivery of my new (Oct 2023) 911 Turbo S Cabriolet. And I have some concerns about the oil temperature.

My previous 911 Turbo S Cabriolet (April 2020) - even when driven hard - oil temp would only get to about 105c in the summer. Under normal cruising - the oil temp would sit at about 98c.

My new 911 - while just cruising under light loads - it's oil is sitting between 107c and 110c and that's with outside temp being cold. So it's running some 10% hotter than the old one. Coolant is sitting at 90c - and doesn't seem to move at all.

I have no idea what temp the oil would get to if driven hard - as she only has 220 miles - so still running in gently as per manual (first 3000km).

Any other 992 owners comment on their oil and coolant temp ?

Thanks, Tim

upto 110c / 230f is still the upper limit of normal noting this is the temp in the oil sump,

see how the running in period goes,

but beyond 110c / 230f to 120c / 250f is where it would be deemed as getting to hot as anything over 120c is getting critical for the engine

I assume Porsche still swears by Mobil 1 0w40

Hi All

I've just taken delivery of my new (Oct 2023) 911 Turbo S Cabriolet. And I have some concerns about the oil temperature.

My previous 911 Turbo S Cabriolet (April 2020) - even when driven hard - oil temp would only get to about 105c in the summer. Under normal cruising - the oil temp would sit at about 98c.

My new 911 - while just cruising under light loads - it's oil is sitting between 107c and 110c and that's with outside temp being cold. So it's running some 10% hotter than the old one. Coolant is sitting at 90c - and doesn't seem to move at all.

I have no idea what temp the oil would get to if driven hard - as she only has 220 miles - so still running in gently as per manual (first 3000km).

Any other 992 owners comment on their oil and coolant temp ?

Thanks, Tim
My 992 Carrera S generally has oil temp in the 95 - 105 C temp range. I read on Rennlist that oil temp is lower in Sports mode. I am still running my car in, but haven’t noticed temperatures rising when I use more throttle.

Also for info the reason the water temperature “sticks” at 90 degrees C is it’s a “false” reading. I was a development engineer at an OEM when the first digital instrument displays came in, ie where a computer decides what temp to display on the dash rather then an analogue gauge being driven directly from a sensor. With the old analogue gauges, some customers falsely reported engine problems if they saw the engine temperature varying up and down slightly. Keeping the gauge at a “set” value just under 100 C for a range of normal engine temperatures stopped the false reports of engine problems.

"I was a development engineer at an OEM"
more insights please (y)

I am a fellow OEM Development Engineer :) and concur the above
as long as Oil temperature remains below 140C peak there is no issue , expected normal road running is usually below 110C and hard driving at altitude and track work around 120C (depends on the cooling capacity of the vehicle)
There are lots of vehicle related variables to consider (Oil cooler capacity and flow rate, vehicle opening area, engine thermal efficiency to name a few)
For the Op nothing seems out of the ordinary

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back