Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 Limited Slip Differential Conundrum

R60BBA

Trainee
Hey Folks,

I've got a query on the 997.1 LSD conundrum.

I'm aware that from factory most 997.1s (excluding GT cars) came with an open diff and only cars which were specced with the Sports Suspension package (aka option 030 or M030 in previous generations) came with an LSD. I believe this is mainly because Porsche could only offer the LSD to manual cars on 19" wheels which did not have PASM; and so most owners at the time in favour of comfort (over dynamics) specced PASM cars as opposed to non-PASM cars with LSDs. Naturally Porsche also made cars without PASM and no option 030.

Nevertheless, I'm aware that RPM Technik can put in an aftermarket LSD for circa £3,000.

Question is, can RPM Technik (or any other capable garage for that matter) put an LSD in a PASM specced 997.1? Or can this only be done for non-PASM 997.1s?

Cheers

Phone RPM and ask - they had previously given me a quote for a LSD to a PASM equipped car? Your other alternative for a plate LSD would be from Guard and one of their UK dealers

AFAIK the .2 GTS cars came with an LSD and PASM. PASM just changes some of the damping settings, but with good passive dampers you can also make those compression / rebound adjustments too

Was your quote for a gen 1 or a gen 2 car?

Mine is a gen 2, but there is no special difference in the suspension between the generations.

Copy and pasted from the gen 1 brochure:

'Featuring a lowered ride height and stiffened setup, the sports suspension package is available as an extra-cost option on the 911 Carrera and Carrera 4 Coupé models. It is also offered as a no-cost option for the 911 Carrera S and 4S Coupé. Designed for total sports performance, it is a valuable addition for racing or trackday use.

The package comprises firmer and lower springs (20 mm lower than the standard 911 Carrera, 10 mm lower than the PASM-equipped 911 Carrera S), new anti-roll bars with greater torsional strength, and firmer damper settings. It also includes a mechanically locking rear differential offering increased traction on poor road surfaces or under rapid acceleration, e.g., when exiting a low-speed bend.

Please note that this option cannot be combined with Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) and is only available in conjunction with a six-speed manual gearbox and 19-inch wheels."

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
e46m3
Back