Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 to 993 - Returning to 911uk !!

bigfella70

Monza
Hi folks

Returning to 911uk after what must be a year, having moved on from my 996 C2 last January. Great cars , great value etc however a little too 'modern" for me hence I went seeking a new 'hobby" vehicle.

All sorts of options considered, older uk classic, Porsche 968 etc until I decided on a 993.

My first air cooled Porsche and not carrying a 'top end" budget my search began for a suitable car over the winter !

In a nutshell I'm over the moon with the car I've bought.

1994 C2 Tip in Ocean blue.

[/img]

Sourced from the excellent GCR Central in Leicester. Proprietor Chris Sargent and all the team were really welcoming, hospitable and helpful. Never come across GCR prior to viewing my car but can't recommend them enough now.

In fact over the last 25 years of running cars I'd have to say this was the best buying experience, dealer or private that I've had ! The workshop is very, very impressive with a wide range of 911's classic and modern and even a BMW E9 coupe undergoing restoration !

I'll certainly be making the journey back for servicing and maintenance. Their friendly and down to earth, non nonsense attitude is very refreshing !

Plans for the car, basically are use and enjoy. I'm not big into modifying and do like the stock look hence the 16" wheels, ambers etc will be staying.

Looking forward to fettling any minor issues that crop up, keeping the car clean and well maintained as I go along but not really changing the spec.

Had a couple of good runs so far however she's been hooked up to my CTEK and staying out of the worst of the winter so far. Although I'm not treating the car as a trailer queen I'm going to avoid using her in the worst of the winter weather.

First impressions are really pleasing, very different feel and sound from a 996 and just what I was looking for. A Tip wouldn't necessarily have been my first choice although other factors weighted in to make this the car for me. After using it I'm really getting to like the transmission though, almost over and above a manual 'box !

Anyhow, enough for now, will keep chipping in and contributing wherever I can.

Really impressed with 911uk forum. I had been in PCGB but let my membership lapse as not really that enamoured with membership benefits or the mag's. Suits some but just not my cup of tea really.

Looking forward to getting round some of the shows and events during 2014 !

Regards.

Dave.

:welcome: back,

Looking forward to hearing more comparisons re the driving of a 993 compared to a 996 and more of your thoughts re Tiptronics.

:thumb:

ps. Porsche do make cars in other colours you know. :grin:

Welcome back chum :thumb:

How's the beard coming along? Have you purchased the duffle coat, sling back hemp sandals yet? :grin:

I had a Tip and it was great. The sensation of the torque lock up when held in gears was disconcerting until I read more about it - like having an extra gear where the revs drop but no actual change.

Agricultural by modern stanadards they are bulletproof and whilst the purists will always want a manual, having the Tip under at 4k+ revs with sports airbox and 'hollamby' exhaust mod = :cloud9:

Nice looking motor and sounds like you had great service.

My 993 had those 'non option' 16" wheels fitted when I bought it. I've since changed them over to the more commonplace option cups now as they are not my cup of tea, but I do think the presence of the 16 inchers (if they were original fitment) could be a good indication of a car that has to date been loved for what it is and not changed around by several mod obsessed owners...nice one.

Thanks chaps !!

Managing to resist the beard etc at this stage but could see me going that way very easily :thumb:

Looking forward to some dry weather to get out and about again !!

Welcome and great to see another 993 up here. Be nice to see you on Mohito's map so I don't feel quite so lonely.

Looks a decent buy to me, and welcome back.

Is it just me or does it look much more like Iris Blue (which I love, not that I would be biased!)?

Great to hear from you guys, deffo Iris Blue code 39v !

Never seem to get away from Blue's my 996 was Ocean but I do like the colour !

One of my first little jobs is clearing a blocked n/s washer nozzle, thinks its the non return valve thats gummed up so will get around to doing that soon !

Love tinkering and maintaining my cars but i've learned where to stop and leave it to the experts when necessary and time & skill runs out for me :roll: :roll:

I thought it was Iris. Now I have got a local brother. Mine has been under cover for around 5 weeks, but hopefully out for a quick run tomorrow.
Enjoy!

Yeah, I used to be first in the queue for swapping to clear lenses, subtle mods and upgrades on my cars but lately i've thought - hang on this is a 20 year old car in original trim which i've started to appreciate more.

Even down to the wheels, they've been re furbed ar GCR and are very well shod. I think they look right for the car as original spec so I actually prefer to retain tem rather than upgrade to larger diameter lower profile etc. I like the ride on the 16's as well.

Must be getting old and boring :wink: :wink:

bigfella70 said:
Yeah, I used to be first in the queue for swapping to clear lenses, subtle mods and upgrades on my cars but lately i've thought - hang on this is a 20 year old car in original trim which i've started to appreciate more.

Even down to the wheels, they've been re furbed ar GCR and are very well shod. I think they look right for the car as original spec so I actually prefer to retain tem rather than upgrade to larger diameter lower profile etc. I like the ride on the 16's as well.

Hi,

Yep couldn't agree with you more, mine runs on 16" (refurbished too) and that is how it came from the factory along with all the other original features. It's not a case of old and boring just keeping things original. :thumb:

ATB :)

Attachments

• car_in_spain_es_plates_lo_rez_207.jpg
    car_in_spain_es_plates_lo_rez_207.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 3,249
bigfella70 said:
I think they look right for the car as original spec so I actually prefer to retain them rather than upgrade to larger diameter lower profile etc. I like the ride on the 16's as well.

Mine came with 17" 10 spokes - and I had every intention of changing them for a set of 18" 996 wheels I had, but I'm sticking with these now. The ride is so much more civilized on smaller wheels. I just need to get the off-set right with the correct size spacers :frustrated:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back