Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.1 PDK Sport mode needs to be more responsive

OttoOtto

Nurburgring
Hi all - Merry Christmas!

No complaints about the 3.8 NA power-band, I love it.

BUT, whilst Sport-Plus is fantastic on the right roads with no traffic.....

I find sport mode underwhelming because the PDK seems reluctant to change down at sub 3k revs, at which point it gets bogged down :roll:

Of course I can coax it by blipping the throttle or changing down manually but that's not my point. I only use the manual shift to make gratuitous downshifts to force the rev match :grin:

Anyone else think the same? It just feels as though there is a gap between full kick-down and more intelligent use of the power-band by the PDK to keep the power in 'the zone' when I'm feeling too lazy to command it myself.

Or maybe I should buy a turbo

Had no issue with my 981CS when I had it. Whenever on a spirited drive I always preferred putting it in manual and using the paddles anyway.

OttoOtto said:
Hi all - Merry Christmas!

No complaints about the 3.8 NA power-band, I love it.

BUT, whilst Sport-Plus is fantastic on the right roads with no traffic.....

I find sport mode underwhelming because the PDK seems reluctant to change down at sub 3k revs, at which point it gets bogged down :roll:

Of course I can coax it by blipping the throttle or changing down manually but that's not my point. I only use the manual shift to make gratuitous downshifts to force the rev match :grin:

Anyone else think the same? It just feels as though there is a gap between full kick-down and more intelligent use of the power-band by the PDK to keep the power in 'the zone' when I'm feeling too lazy to command it myself.

Or maybe I should buy a turbo

I came from a turbo as I wanted more engine character but was underwhelmed by sluggish pdk and low down torque. I don't have sport + but sport never seemed sporty enough. Problem solve by a engine map 'refresh" at an independent. It's totally changed the car, much more responsive throttle response and low down torque means it's sparkles now. I now don't miss the turbo.

DavidWhite said:
I came from a turbo as I wanted more engine character but was underwhelmed by sluggish pdk and low down torque. I don't have sport + but sport never seemed sporty enough. Problem solve by a engine map 'refresh" at an independent. It's totally changed the car, much more responsive throttle response and low down torque means it's sparkles now. I now don't miss the turbo.

Interested to hear that. I'm not sure I'm looking for actual increases in torque or power, but I've always been skeptical whether that's realistic. I think what I'm looking for is for the throttle input to be more 'trigger happy' to change down with less travel on the pedal (if that makes any sense?), in that way it would maintain higher torque in sport mode. Not shifting to the lowest possible gear necessarily (as it does on sport plus), but to just get past that flat spot :dont know:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back