Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

986 dash components compatible with 996

aerokit

Trainee
Evening all

Could anyone kindly advise if the 986 and 996 share dashboard components? Specifically, I'm going to move towards a single Din stereo with the lower dash delete (eventually) - I've seen a spare centre console which has the centre horizontal rail to support a single din head unit (as well as a top cup holder) for sale.

The part number is 99655218400. Did a quick Google but couldn't find anything definitive on compatibility. I would assume as the part number starts with "996.." it should be swappable?

Any guidance gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Yes many parts are compatible. Most parts which are on there start 996. Although some which are shared do start 986.

MC

The central cage with the cup holders is from a gen 2 996 and I'm not 100% sure that's compatible with the gen 1 dash or the 986.

Yeah that will all work.

Sometimes the design is slightly different if you look closely. As in the horseshoe can come in one piece rather than the top and sides. But makes no odds.

Do be aware that while the 996 had mostly the black rubberised finish, many 986 models had the sort of dark grey finish. But being very picky here. But thought it worth mentioning.

Alex said:
The central cage with the cup holders is from a gen 2 996 and I'm not 100% sure that's compatible with the gen 1 dash or the 986.

Good point there.

If you are getting something like that make sure it is complete, ie the fascia, air vent and the cage behind. Then you are ok.

Yeah - I think you may have to fit the vents from a gen 2 for it to fit.

See what I mean:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Amazing! Thanks all, really appreciated. I hadn't noticed the nuance of the slightly different shapes to the vents - would have ended up with half a centre console as they're only selling the 'inside bit' and I've got a 996.1

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back