Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911 Damaged, Advice Needed

991 C4S

So last week, my car was involved in a accident whilst parked, thankfully no body was injured and I wasn't in the car. I've had the car taken to a Porsche recommended body shop who have estimated the damaged in excess of £26,000.

The accident has resulted in every panel on the side of my car to be damaged including the both bumpers, front passenger and rear passenger light. I've taken the car for a quick spin and I can also feeling it pulling.

The body shop have told me they would need to replace the quarter and sill. They are keen to repair the car as its a "simple" repair. The estimated repair costs is almost half of what I paid for the car.

In the eye of the body shop it may be a simple repair!! In excess £26,000 I would say there is significant damage to my car and quite frankly I did pay in excess of £55,000 to own a significantly repaired vehicle, nor due I want to drive a vehicle that's been significantly damaged especially when its due to no fault of my own.

The car was also in park, and was projected at least 4-5m, could this result in gearbox damage.

If my car is not written off where do I stand, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Without seeing pics of the car a friends 991.2 GTS was stolen and they damaged all the wheels, front and rear bar and that bill came to £40k. As for where you stand. Repair and sell seems like the only option should you feel it's too tainted for you to go forward with its custodianship.

You actually paid for a vehicle, not a vehicle that would never be repaired. That is after all one of the reasons why you pay for car Insurance, in the event your car is damaged and needs to be repaired.

If the car can be repaired to it's former state, which is perfectly possible, then why shouldn't it be? At the end of the day, every part of the car is replaceable with brand new parts, so what's the problem?

The repair costs vs the value of the car means the vehicle is well within the 'economical' repair, why would to write off a £55k car if the repair is only 50% of the value to repair it? For an Insurance company to write it off, it would have to be a higher repair cost than that.

You need to try for a write off and start again.

From your description it does sound like a straightforward repair and the price quoted will be for Porsche original parts and labour at £200 per hour (snigger :floor: ).

If it was my car i would be rather upset and would want to see the back of it.

On the other hand if a dealer bought the car from the Insurance company it would be as good as new for considerably less. Ebay is full of such cars.

I feel your pain.

Ghostrider78 said:
You actually paid for a vehicle, not a vehicle that would never be repaired. That is after all one of the reasons why you pay for car Insurance, in the event your car is damaged and needs to be repaired.

If the car can be repaired to it's former state, which is perfectly possible, then why shouldn't it be? At the end of the day, every part of the car is replaceable with brand new parts, so what's the problem?

The repair costs vs the value of the car means the vehicle is well within the 'economical' repair, why would to write off a £55k car if the repair is only 50% of the value to repair it? For an Insurance company to write it off, it would have to be a higher repair cost than that.

The Insurance company will make the assessment / decision based on the TOTAL cost of the claim......often that is not the actual repair cost but of other factors eg cost of supplying a replacement car for the 4-8 weeks the repair will take to complete (probably longer at this time of year)......it is often that cost which makes the difference to this type of claim :bandit:

jonttt said:
Ghostrider78 said:

The Insurance company will make the assessment / decision based on the TOTAL cost of the claim......often that is not the actual repair cost but of other factors eg cost of supplying a replacement car for the 4-8 weeks the repair will take to complete (probably longer at this time of year)......it is often that cost which makes the difference to this type of claim :bandit:

You're quite right, my point was more the fact that many people believe 50% to be hurdle for declaring a 'write off' - it's often much higher than that.

I suppose the simple question is 'would you buy a car that's had a whole new N/S replaced including suspension components'?

The one thing with Porsche is that they will not repair panels, they will only replace. So it might be worth taking it to a body shop that could/possibly repair the damaged panels, obviously having not seen the state of them no one can judge.

When a friends car was damaged, not their fault, it was repaired and they claimed £7k for loss of value of the vehicle and the Insurance company paid up.

I bought a written off Boxster and it was written off due to Porsche wanting to replace the whole passenger side, the estimate was £6500. I bought the car and had it fixed for £500. The damage was only panels and the repair is faultless.

Hi,
This is an area i work in. Please let me know the bodyshop in question, this can be via PM if you prefer.

I assume you didnt go for any bespoke cover in terms of Insurance? (some GAP Insurance will step in here, depending on the policy) If so you agreed to them choosing the appropriate place to repair(although you can insist it goes to an approved shop) and methods to do this. this is in the T&C's.

As for deeming the car to be a total loss, that again is down to the Insurance companies and the value of repair, with regards to cost of a hire vehicle again unless you requested a like for like, they will supply a basic courtesy car(often in non faults they supply a comparable as this cost is being picked up by a 3rd party).

You also agree to let them repair the car and they have a right to rectify this if you are unsatisfied, this is often why Insurance companies often take cars to approved bodyshops in the first instance.

A good bodyshop will repair the car to a very good standard and you should be unable to identify the repair. In Germany the repair is as it states, its a repair and the owner is compensated financially as the car is no longer worth the original value. It works different here in the UK where we finish the car to different standard.

If you are not happy about the fact your car is being repaired, you will need to allow the repair to commence and get the vehicle inspected afterwards, i would also tell the garage that this is what you intend to do. I have seen in the past where the repairer has had to buy the car back from the owner and the original owner gets the full pre accident value.

if the car has gone to an approved repairer they will not invalidate your manufacturers body warranty, they will have a history of the repair and a guarantee. You may even be surprised how well the cars looks afterwards, if you are still not happy that the your car has had a repair Porsche cannot penalise your value as its been repaired to manufacturers spec and you have a guarantee from the repairer.(this is how it works with my manufacturer, we have charged the repairer for where this standard hasn't been met, there are rules that stop your value falling because of this)

Happy to talk via PM if you need any advise

Thanks Nick

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies.

I'm absolutely gutted, it took me over 3 months for me to find a specification like mine and for this reason a part of me wants to get the vehicle repaired but based on the previous repair of my DB9 which again was carried out by the recommended repairer from the dealership I purchased the vehicle I am reluctant.

If it wasn't for the suspension damage, I would not be reluctant on getting the vehicle repaired. My DB9 had light drivers front suspension damage once repaired it never drove right despite multiple visits to the approved body shop, in the end I ended up selling and making a some what significant loss.

In terms of bodywork repair, Im not doubting the skills of the body shop technicians as I've seen some impressive repairs and I've personally had the opportunity to have a tour of the body shop whilst my car was being repaired.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Many thanks.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
e46m3
Back