Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2001 C2 ownership thread

mikeeb

Trainee
Hi all
I posted in the Newbie thread section when I bought it a few weeks ago.

But she is a Lapis blue, non sunroof, manual low option car., GT3 split rims a and 39k miles. Great history, serviced every year.

The previous owner had her for 4 years and kept well on top of the bits these cars need. So in his ownership it had the following.

Genuine full MO30 suspension kit
LM engineering IMS, RMS and clutch kit.
Full TopGear exhaust, 200 cell crossover cats and mild silencers
997 shifter housing
Genuine discs and pads front and rear
A set of PS4's last 1000 miles ago.
Alpine single din DAB radio.

This is how I picked her up.

Attachments

• fab36c69_f1d4_4ea6_8c22_ae89620c3eac_938.jpeg
    fab36c69_f1d4_4ea6_8c22_ae89620c3eac_938.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3,022
  • fab36c69_f1d4_4ea6_8c22_ae89620c3eac_938.jpeg
    fab36c69_f1d4_4ea6_8c22_ae89620c3eac_938.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3,022
So it doesn't really leave me a lot to do I thought.........

But I've never really liked split rims or wheel bolts so I spotted Graeme was selling Team Dynamics at a sensible price. So it was rude not to buy those. With a stud conversion kit and front spacer to even things out and some GT3 brake ducts.

I've fixed the armrest hinge and emptied the tank a couple of times.

On the list to do are the following

Double din????!!!
RSS engine mounts
Gearbox oil change with Millers Nanodrive
Cruise and OBC retrofit
Get the holes in the bumper filled and it repainted so I can use a sticky plate.

And some more tanks of fuel!

Cheers

Mike

Attachments

• 767bc16b_8155_4e0f_b081_162ff6daf4ab_221.jpeg
    767bc16b_8155_4e0f_b081_162ff6daf4ab_221.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3,022
  • 767bc16b_8155_4e0f_b081_162ff6daf4ab_221.jpeg
    767bc16b_8155_4e0f_b081_162ff6daf4ab_221.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3,022
Great to see a fellow blue early 996 owner - the bug will catch you with these cars. Fantastic platforms for tinkering. More photos please! 😊

Congrats - that's a lovely looking motor, although we are biased here. :D

Congrats! nice car :thumbs:

Pleased to say she passed her MOT with no advisories. Minor service carried out and gear oil changed both with Millers. Minor AC leak fixed, it was the joint behind the drivers door. It came apart cleanly so no issues there. Overall nothing to report on the service.

Happy boy!!

just curious, what is the tray like thing perched above the steering shroud in that pic?

mikeeb said:
I was wondering if anyone would spot it. My phone sits in it sideways and leans again the clocks so I can use it for satnav.

Aha! If you want something to securely mount it, & keep it in the field of view, it might be worth considering a hazard switch mount. I've not used one, but it looks like it might be better located than the rennline mount I currently use.

https://www.rennclassic.com/product-page/hazard-trim-phone-mount-bundle

I've no connection to the vendor, but he seems to regularly post on the rennlist forum. So, you'll find feedback from other users there.

So the old girl has been causing me some anguish (and money!).

Ever since I had the car, when it's been left for a while there is a small amount of timing chain rattle just while oil pressure builds from the RHS of the engine. It's completely silent once running. But having spent my career at the greasy end of the Auto Industry it was making me itch!

No signs of any debris in sump or filter but I couldn't ignore it. So first step was to replace the three main chain tensioners, on the basis the it could either be the centre one or most likely the RH bank one, so might as well replace all three as they're all 21 yrs old even if they have only done 40k miles.

Unfortunately, this didn't quieten her down so on to the next step. Pop the cam covers off. Check the variocam units that act as the cam chain tensioner too. Also pop a camera down and inspect the main chain guides.

Guides all look perfect on both the main chains and small cam chains. But the spring tension in the RH Variocam unit is softer than the LH. So hopefully problems found. Except, the Variocam units are nigh on £1k a piece. So while I'd love to replace both just to be sure, I can't throw that much around just because.

As there's no signs of any damage or wear I'm confident that the noise isn't really a problem, so I'll leave the LH one and if it gets noisy enough to make me itch I'll just have to do it later.

I'm sure that if it wasn't for my background I'd never have noticed/worried about it. I know the previous owner of the car and he was fastidious with his upkeep but on chatting with him he never noticed it. There's probably loads of cars out there doing the same thing quite happily.

Sometimes it's worse (for the pocket) knowing cars!!

Cheers all

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back