Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

1999 C4 cabriolet project

Not faulty, that is how they are designed to operate. It should go off when you start moving.

MC

Hugh_ said:
I've always had that too and also assumed it was normal!

edited - just seen MCs response!

Mine does the same, I understand that it's normal but it does seem like very odd behaviour for Porsche to have engineered in!

Shalmaneser said:
..but it does seem like very odd behaviour for Porsche to have engineered in!
Very odd indeed.. :what:

It's not the engine lid that controls the warning light it is for the spoiler mechanism. Ask any 986 owner..... I guess there is a system check performed on start up and the light goes out when all is ok and you drive a few yards.

cdmci said:
It's not the engine lid that controls the warning light it is for the spoiler mechanism. Ask any 986 owner..... I guess there is a system check performed on start up and the light goes out when all is ok and you drive a few yards.

Since the spoilers are speed operated, I can only assume that the spoiler control module wants to see speed sensor inputs before it shows that there isn't a problem.

MC

Failed MOT on corrosion on part of the chassis. I knew it needed doing and was going to do it when the paint was done, but a fail is a fail, so off to the bodyshop.

a day and £320 lighter and it has a clean pass on the MOT. Wheel alignment on Thursday.

So far:
Total time: 91 hours
Total cost: £6159.84

MC

MisterCorn said:
cdmci said:

Since the spoilers are speed operated, I can only assume that the spoiler control module wants to see speed sensor inputs before it shows that there isn't a problem.

MC

Yep, the air cooled 993's do it (without fixed wings) and I believe its speed sensor check, from memory you have to do 5mph for the light to switch off

Correct.

With all of the new suspension it was always going to need wheel alignment. Fortunately for the guy doing the job it was all nice and easy with new bolts everywhere.

£66 later it now goes down the road in a straight line.
That is pretty much it for the stuff I really needed to get done. It drives very nicely with no clunks or bumps, so time to get a few miles on it.

So with the £7850 I paid for the car, it has cost me pretty much bang on £14k to get it fully working, no advisories on the MOT. Summary of work so far (from memory, if I miss bits I'll edit to add them in)

Clear drain holes
New radiators
Coolant change
New condensers
Replaced alternator
New battery
New column switches - activate OBC
New wiper blades
M030 kit
All new suspension arms
New GT3 front brake ducts
New top mounts, bump stops, spring mounts
Changed exhaust
New rear brake disks and pads
New front brake hard lines and flexible lines
Oil service, air filter, cabin filter
Brake fluid change
Fixed roof
2 front door regulators changed
front driveshafts rebuilt with new gaiters and reluctor rings
1 new rear reluctor ring
2 new wheel speed sensors
Helicoil rear upright for caliper repair
Chassis repair
Wheel alignment

So far:
Total time: 91 hours
Total cost: £6225.84

MC

MisterCorn said:
Failed MOT on corrosion on part of the chassis. I knew it needed doing and was going to do it when the paint was done, but a fail is a fail, so off to the bodyshop.

MC

Thats where mine went as well so another area worth checking on 996's. The underseal looked fine until I went poking. Nedhannon had the same so its probably a common area to consider now.

Another very informative and interesting thread MC, thanks.

How much do you think you saved having alternators & exhausts etc in your spare parts draw or has that been included in the costs?

What are your plans foe the car once you've used it for a while, sell/add to the stable, modify further?

911munKy said:
Another very informative and interesting thread MC, thanks.

How much do you think you saved having alternators & exhausts etc in your spare parts draw or has that been included in the costs?

What are your plans foe the car once you've used it for a while, sell/add to the stable, modify further?

Probably saved £5-700 with those parts, and they are not in the costs. I'm still tempted to do an engine rebuild on it to take it to a 3.7l. That will come down to whether or not I drop the engine when it goes to the body shop. I might fancy a bit of a break and have a few jobs to do on other cars though so it could get left a while.

Next jobs are probably tidy up the interior. There is an intermittent issue on the door handle microswitch on the drivers side, the centre console lid hinge is broken and the centre console and gear lever could do with a refurb. The refurbs are a nice cheap job which just takes a bit of time but really lifts the interior, so I might get those removed ready for the Christmas holiday when I'm stuck at home. I'm keeping my out for some tidier seats as well and will probably end up with a new roof.
Longer term I don't know. I'll see how much I like it after driving it around a while, but impressions so far are very good, can't really tell until I get the roof down in some better weather. If I get a decent offer on it I might sell it, but I'm in no rush to move it on, I want to enjoy it now it is properly sorted.

MC

On to the next job to do over the break during the 'gifting season'. The centre console rear lid hinge is broken, soft open /close on the ashtray doesn't work, the centre console is dirty and scratched, the gear lever looks a mess and the gear change is sloppy. So time for an Alex quickshift and a painted centre console. I might even go for a Boxster console delete as I do like those.

Centre console and gear mechanism removed.

Time taken 0.5 hours

So far:
Total time: 91.5 hours
Total cost: £6225.84

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back