Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

1974 911s?

Tappy

Silverstone
I sold my 993 to go for an older model , I've been looking at the late 60's / early 70's examples circa £ 60-70k ( coupes) ... notice a few facelift 74 on examples at handy money . I don't know a lot about these so would appreciate some advice re: values / desirability/ re-sellability , thanks in anticipation guys :dont know:

The early G-series cars are great cars, that were undervalued for a while but starting to make good money.

Early cars shared the same narrow body as the F-series but with the impact bumpers added. They also have the updated interior in particular the tombstone seats which in my view are a big improvement over the earlier seats. They inherit the 2.7 magnesium case from the 73 Carrera although now with CIS fuel injection.
Some owners take the CIS off and run carbs, but when setup correctly the CIS runs well and is more economical.

Try to have a look on the ImpactBumpers website or DDK plenty of examples and comments there.

Of course I am a little biased ;)

50036876723_232a8d4f7c_b.jpg

just to note .. the 74S can't be compared to a pre74 S . Pre-74 S models were the top of the range and quickest of the production 911's ( excluding the 73RS ) . For example 1972 had the 2.4 T, E & S

For 74, the S label was given to the lowest powered least focussed 911. For 74 the powerful ones were labelled Carreras. A genuine 74 2.7 Carrera had the same MFI 2.7 210 bhp motor as the iconic 73 RS from the year before along with the flared rear arches.

But as said, 74S is still a lovely car and I think has a great look to it with narrow body & chrome . Just dont let a dealer try & convince you its the same as a 73 S or RS

hot66 said:
For 74, the S label was given to the lowest powered least focussed 911.

In 1974 I think you will find there was a base 911 with 110kW engine, the 'S' version was 129kW from different pistons and cams. The ROW Carrera engine was the same as the '73 RS although American market cars had a much lower power CIS engine.

But as James says don't consider any '74 911 as desirable as an F series 'S' or RS ( unless it is an MFI Carrera ).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravioli
Back