Stinky new clutch !

C2 YYY said:
I had my clutch changed about 3 years ago and it still sinks if I slip the clutch. I think of it as an early warning system.

3 years!..WTF .. Please can you describe the smell, is it really offensive ?... i can smell my clutch now and i have not been in the car for 6 hours :grin:

Does it smell as bad as mine did when I roasted it up at Kielder doing your video? Mine is currently being fitted with a new one too as the old one was completely trashed.

I look forward to comparing smelly clutches on run out soon! :thumb:

Ghengis said:
Does it smell as bad as mine did when I roasted it up at Kielder doing your video? Mine is currently being fitted with a new one too as the old one was completely trashed.

I look forward to comparing smelly clutches on run out soon! :thumb:

I remember it well Tom and the oil slick you made on the road , that's some car you have now , look forward to seeing you out again.

Perhaps I should have said 3 years but less than 3000 miles. I cannot really explain the smell, but it's rather acrid, but only happens if the clutch is slipping - the car has a lightweight flywheel and RS clutch so the revs need to be quite high when pulling away in first. Under normal condition the clutch operation is very light a slick - so working perfectly.

My spannerman (40 years doing Porsche) tells me it's quite normal.

Mine still stinks after 3 years and 30 odd thousand miles.

Just to wrap this up , the smell from the new clutch went away quite suddenly after a couple of weeks .

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more...