GTS - worth the premium?

Have you seen the amount of 991 GTS cars for sale on Porsche UK site?
Loads

Basalt black ,PDK , Full OPC history, sports exhaust . 48k miles.

askgeez said:
Basalt black ,PDK , Full OPC history, sports exhaust . 48k miles.

Cheers for that but I think we've decided to go with a GTS 👍

Speculating over future values for investment purposes for anything that isn't a GT car is totally pointless. Whilst I think these are very special cars, Porsche made an awful lot of them and a lot of people take very good care of them. If you're willing to lock it in a barn for half a century, then that's slightly different to actually driving it. Adding mileage = losing money. We've been totally brainwashed by the speculators flipping GT cars for a few years and the relatively good economic climate has meant that regular sports cars have held their prices.

Buy the one you like and enjoy the extremely low depreciation. Take the good advice of the other posters in this thread that the GTS is worth the premium as the spec is usually a lot better than the average C4S.

If you want to buy a car for an investment with your cash, a 996 GT3 might be better. Similarly your cash would get you one hell of a nice Mezger engined turbo car in either 996 or 997 guise which would be where my £60k would go (if I didn't get distracted by a V10 manual R8 )!

In all seriousness, have you looked into the 997 turbo?

And mine never seen GTS at that price at OPC, even cabs or high milers....

tom_nieto said:
In all seriousness, have you looked into the 997 turbo?

Only half seriously, as assumed it might be a bit hard work as a daily driver?

4WD and tiptronic would make a lovely daily drive. The suspension is no harder and the driving characteristics are fairly similar throughout the range. The main difference is that it's a proper rocket ship and still keeps up with a lot of new super cars. Sure, there's an argument about turbo vs NA character, but the DFI NA engine arguably lost some character over previous iterations of the flat six. Honestly, you can pop to the shops just as easily in a turbo as a NA 911. You just don't quite reach warp speed as quickly in the NA cars! I'd see if you can test drive one.

:yeah: and if you want a really nice one, check this out.

FOR SALE ---> Full Porsche Service History and 12 months OPC Warranty for under £50k

Very valid point regarding the mileage...........

Doing 5k a year will maintain the premium but if you stick 10k a year on it, the residual value will certainly take a hit.

I'm not a mileage snob (no offence to anyone) but you have to face the reality of the British market....an extra 20k on the same age car can devalue the car by a significant amount and to some degree it's desirability.

There is a perception that a car with mileage 50k has got to be better than one with 70k.
Which I think is tosh really.

Better to buy 70K and upwards and factor in a visit to Hartech in my book. You will save the cost of rebuild because of the milage if you are canny, and then you have a car you know is good!

jl-c said:
Better to buy 70K and upwards and factor in a visit to Hartech in my book. You will save the cost of rebuild because of the milage if you are canny, and then you have a car you know is good!

......but it's a 997.2 DFI motor. No issues. Traded mine in end of sept with 70k on the clock ........ used 1 litre of oil in between the 2 year services.

jl-c said:

:eh!:

I've been reading this with interest, I actually was hoping to buy janes 996 as a side project but last minute decisions stopped that from happening.

To the case in point, I've been looking for a 4s to replace my Audi rs, the prices suggested for a good gts(leather dash at least) are staggering and you can get a turbo gen 2 for the same or less with 60k miles. I didn't think I'd go back to a turbo but no way would I pay more for a gts.

no I don't think it's worth the premium, buy a pdk turbo for the same money and I bet there are less uk cars.

Bund said:
I've been reading this with interest, I actually was hoping to buy janes 996 as a side project but last minute decisions stopped that from happening.
yes, sorry about that - it sold very easily in the end.

Bund said:
no I don't think it's worth the premium, buy a pdk turbo for the same money and I bet there are less uk cars.

Have spent the day researching turbos and may be coming around to the idea - original budget is a distant memory 😀

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more...