Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sad day I know, but am I the first ????

westcoastclassic said:
996ttalot said:
Disco said:
116618LN said:
So would it be really silly to use the car occasionally over the winter with cup2's?

Silly? Not really unless you are going out in snow, frost, sleet, etc... But that said - if it is really cold (low single digit temperature or less) then they aren't really much fun either, and personally I always swap some winters on.

For context - I have driven the Cup 2 in snow and I absolutely do not recommend it. I've also done Spa and the 'Ring on Cup 2s with sub zero air temperature and it isn't that much fun (it is almost impossible to get any heat into them and they don't work at all when that cold). Winters don't work on track either (they overheat almost instantly) but at least if it snows on the way home it isn't terrifying. However, if the conditions aren't extreme and you are driving carefully at public road speed they aren't dangerous or anything like that.

It isn't like the first generation Cups where the first sign of a puddle on a cold day can be an unwelcome introduction to aquaplaning.

Yep totally agree. Run cup2 on my 964 through the winter with no issues - you just drive to conditions.

Unless it is snowing or extreme cold/ice, some of the best fun you can have in your Porsche is in the wet/cooler conditions. Driving on track in the wet is more entertaining than dry - you learn more about balance of the car in those conditions than dry and you improve your skills, which in turn improves your skill in the dry.

The biggest downside to lack of regular use is the risk of rodent damage during the winter. Last winter, two of our customers who laid up their cars, well one was written off by Insurance company and the other cost several thousand of pounds to get back working. Doesn't matter how secure your facility is - just takes one rodent to get in. Single biggest reason why I would never lay a car up for long periods.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I reckon you have a few people in the garage tonight with the cheese out, stupidly that never even crossed my mind however it makes perfect sense.
What on earth do they find tempting to eat is the question? I keep my cars in a shed close to the house, surrounded with barley and wheat fields, so are a prime candidate for this, guess I am heading to get a mouse trap tomorrow. Great tip

Being one better :thumb: I'm getting a cat to put in there :grin:

They use foam and any other soft material for feathering their beds. I've got some snow boots in my garage - one is fur lined the other (now) isn't :x

If you're setting traps don't use cheese, use chocolate. They much prefer chocolate and you're more likely to catch them.

I used to use my turbo all year long. Turned into a costly lesson though as I had to replace a turbocharger due to corrosion seizing a waste gate flap on a 6 month old hybrid turbo. All that salt, water and heat under there makes things crusty in no time at all!

The boxster will get used all the time no matter what. Nothing better than the clear skied, cold, frosty mornings with the top down and a scarf on. Bliss!

Having said that I will be using the turbo a fair amount over the coming winter (when no salt on the roads) because I've been without it ages now. Unfortunately its not drivable in its current condition:

37315063941_263b4796d8_h.jpg

alex yates said:
They use foam and any other soft material for feathering their beds. I've got some snow boots in my garage - one is fur lined the other (now) isn't :x

If you're setting traps don't use cheese, use chocolate. They much prefer chocolate and you're more likely to catch them.

Nutella gets my vote - easy to get on the trap (nice and sticky) and mice love it.
They eat anything in my experience - wiring looms are the car killer...
My wife also had her fuel pipe chewed through a few years ago - v lucky the car didn't burst into flames!
Traps and poison are a good combo....

Bunch of pansies tucking your cars up, i have my winter tyres at the ready and looking forward to some fun in the wet - after all thats why these cars have 4wd to use them in all conditions :thumb:

Pansy - fitting winter tyres! :grin:

I'd have thought leaving cheese about the place would be counter intuitive - you will attract rodents where once there was none. No cheese in my garage, no rodents.
If you have rodents or just want to prevent the risk or having them, dust the floor under the car with rat poison?

When they attack wires and stuff they are not eating it, they are gnawing, they have to gnaw ***** constantly as their front teeth never stop growing.

3point6 said:
I'd have thought leaving cheese about the place would be counter intuitive - you will attract rodents where once there was none. No cheese in my garage, no rodents.
If you have rodents or just want to prevent the risk or having them, dust the floor under the car with rat poison?

When they attack wires and stuff they are not eating it, they are gnawing, they have to gnaw ***** constantly as their front teeth never stop growing.

I didn't know that, I remember a girl at school with a similar problem, we thought her mum had just had an affair with Mr Ed.

seeforez said:
Bunch of pansies tucking your cars up, i have my winter tyres at the ready and looking forward to some fun in the wet - after all thats why these cars have 4wd to use them in all conditions :thumb:

Thats the spirit, get those winter tyres on Mr hardcore :thumb:

seeforez said:

Winter Tyres??? for Pansies!

Wish I had somewhere to store some spare wheels!

There is no hope for me ......

- air cooled rust bucket - check
- one car sorned all year - check
- another car now sorned for winter - check
- chateaux in France - check
- more than one watch - check
- south of the Scottish border - check

I'll hang my head in shame :roll:

Still I now have room for a new car on the drive for some winter fun :grin:

Ps good tip re the pest traps, I have them and have never had a problem after seeing first hand the results of their handy work on a friends car some years ago.

Pps in all seriousness I simply get bored driving the same cars all the time. Sorning a few keeps them fresh, its like getting a new car all over again when they some out of hibernation without the hassle or cost. The 993 is the exception, that's now just an investment .... shoot me :bandit:

jonttt said:
There is no hope for me ......

- air cooled rust bucket - check
- one car sorned all year - check
- another car now sorned for winter - check
- chateaux in France - check
- more than one watch - check
- south of the Scottish border - check

I'll hang my head in shame :roll:

Still I now have room for a new car on the drive for some winter fun :grin:

Ps good tip re the pest traps, I have them and have never had a problem after seeing first hand the results of their handy work on a friends car some years ago.

Pps in all seriousness I simply get bored driving the same cars all the time. Sorning a few keeps them fresh, its like getting a new car all over again when they some out of hibernation without the hassle or cost. The 993 is the exception, that's now just an investment .... shoot me :bandit:

:grin: I like your style, now thats what I'm talking about

westcoastclassic said:
seeforez said:

Fun in the wet with winter tyres :?:

erm...yes - winter tyres are a different type of compound to perform similar to summer tyre but in colder conditions so yes ?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back