Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Your view on this C4S

Mine is on almost 146k. It's a C4S manual 996.2.

Not a drop of oil used in the last 2000 miles. It has the LTT, the 997 oil pressure relief mod, and 5w50 A40 spec oil.

It goes like a bomb and makes superb oil pressure, no idea if it's ever had a rebuild. If it has then there are no papers to show such a thing.

I've actually seen MOT history result that have advisories saying "black staining on left tail pipe" :oops: :ROFLMAO:

The tip 3.6 cars fetch a few k pounds less than the 6MTs typically.

I always imagined that this was due to desirability of the box itself, but the scoring risk may also be a factor.

Both the tip C4s cars that I looked at were scored. One was noisy at hot idle, and sounded like a loud and heavy exhaust manifold leak. A scope test showed 7/10 progression.

The other tip was asymptomatic (as far as a test drive could tell) and had 3.5 out of ten progression. You can't really attribute much to an absence of tailpipe deposits since these are simple to clean.

I changed tack and bought a manual, which has more miles than either of the tips by a considerable margin.

That's not to say all 3.6 tips are scored, but in my limited experience I ended up going manual to help the odds.

Whoever said do a 200 mile.drive and watch the oil level - very smart advice if the seller will go for it. Cheaper than a full scope lol.

It seems the model I am after is the one with such a high risk - I don’t think I want the hassle..!

I appreciate that they all won’t be bore scored and actually some will run forever…but it is the risk that a vehicle used infrequently could then cost me a significant sum.

I appreciated bore score was an issue and more so to an enthusiast but never appreciated quite how much of a risk it was on the 3.6 tip!

Just buy a Hartech rebuilt one - job done:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back