Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Who once owned a Jap Rocket?

alex yates said:
Most members must have gone through a phase in the 90s of owning some sort of Japanese turbo charged 'sports' car.
Phase?
I still have this Rev 3 MR2 Turbo (named Khaleesi), most fun car I've owned. Shame they don't make cars like this any more :(

Attachments

• 2015_05_16_050250_105.jpg
    2015_05_16_050250_105.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 9,524
  • japfest2015_4_960.jpg
    japfest2015_4_960.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 9,524
This was mine.

2000 NSX NA2 manual coupe.

MC

Had a R33 skyline GTST, took it from standard to just over 600bhp and just about rebuilt everything in the process.

Then I got an itch for a 911 and couldn't sell it for anywhere near what it was worth so it went out via royal mail in pieces and the shell went for scrap

I had two and neither turbocharged. One was the Corolla Gti-16 (the FWD hatch back, not the fabulous coupe) which was famous for sharing the same engine as the Mk1 MR-2. I wanted the MR-2 but was living with a woman who had a daughter at the time so 2 seats weren't an option.

And I loved it. Absolutely adored it. I owned a Clio 16V later and personally rated the Corolla chassis as a better. I can't recall a more adjustable chassis at speed on a Boxster road. Mind you I was younger and had that 'I'm bulletproof' thing that men in thier mid 20's have some maybe that had something to do with it... :chin:

I've a picture of it somewhere but it's an actual photograph and that means it's not 'searchable'.....so here's a t'internet shot.

Sadly it ended it's life (and nearly mine) in a high speed crash on the M40 heading south in 1995, taking out a section of crash barrier at the Stratford junction. To this day you can still see the different coloured horizontal spars that were replaced by my, ahem, momentary lack of consciousness from falling asleep at the wheel. Hey ho, I got lucky.

My other was the legendary S2000. I adored the V-Tech engine and still do. And that Jonttt hates them demonstrates how correct I am in that judgement :wink: But in the twisties the sleight rear bias and stiff suspension (the last iteration which came after my 07 model year car got the balance right I believe) always made driving B roads an ultimately uncomfortable affair. But I still loved it and unless it rained drove everywhere with the roof down. Including an unforgettable Ne'er Day drive from Campbeltown to London :cloud9:

My abiding memory of each was how well engineered each was, amazing engines, rubbish interiors and just brilliant driver's cars :thumbs:

Might be showing my age but I had a wide body Mitsubishi Starion Turbo which in its time was quick , also Nissan ZX 300 turbo with Ttops which then led me into Yank tanks :grin: :thumb:

New997buyer said:
I had two.

My abiding memory of each was how well engineered each was, amazing engines, rubbish interiors and just brilliant driver's cars :thumbs:

Spot on!

Both great cars too. I've always loved the S2000 and Honda always seemed to be the only car manufacturer that made car engines rev like motorbike ones - great engineering. A friend of mine nearly killed himself and his brother rolling his into a nearby field doing 3 figures on a country road. Total fun on a stick.

:thumb:

I loved the 300zx and yearned for a convertible. On two occasions I was quite close to viewing/purchasing one. The second occasion was when I bought my 996.

1994-nissan-300zx-convertible.jpg

I think this was the one. unfortunately the seller didn't include the 'optional' extra so the deal fell through :grin:

93_96_300_zx_convertible_011.jpg

New997buyer said:
I had two and neither turbocharged. One was the Corolla Gti-16 (the FWD hatch back, not the fabulous coupe) which was famous for sharing the same engine as the Mk1 MR-2. I wanted the MR-2 but was living with a woman who had a daughter at the time so 2 seats weren't an option.

And I loved it. Absolutely adored it. I owned a Clio 16V later and personally rated the Corolla chassis as a better. I can't recall a more adjustable chassis at speed on a Boxster road. Mind you I was younger and had that 'I'm bulletproof' thing that men in thier mid 20's have some maybe that had something to do with it... :chin:

I've a picture of it somewhere but it's an actual photograph and that means it's not 'searchable'.....so here's a t'internet shot.

Found a pic of mine. Loved it; fab car

Used to have this;
photo.php

Then purchased the GT3
photo.php

Had the DC5 for 7 years but it was finally time to move it on. Guy who purchased it from me, stripped it for parts. Let it go for not what it was worth really but ***** happens

Now have this:
Scooby Forester 2.5XT PPP
photo.php

Turned over 150kish miles a month or two ago. Think its lost some power in the 60 dash but still got it where it needs it. Bodywork is car park scared but mechanically its all good

This was my only foray in Japanese and vaguely warm.......a 2001 Subaru Impreza RS 3 door when I was living in Denver.....it was really rather under-powered with a 2.5 litre engine making 165hp - once up in the mountains it really showed too.
[/img]

Attachments

• img_1397_169.jpg
    img_1397_169.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 5,614
Blimey in amongst lots of front engined Porsche tom foolery I had
AW11 mk1 mr2
AW11 mk1 mr2. Ex race supercharger
S14a 200sx
St185 celia gt4
Skyline GTR R32

And I can say that the GTR was absolutely the worst car I have ever owned and I really miss the ex race mr2. That was genuinely a giant killer.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back