Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which 911 - SC v 3.2 v 964 v 996 v...

SidewaysSi

Trainee
I am somewhat confused as to what I really want and whilst I appreciate that I will only really know by trying out a few, it is a bit tricky given I don't want to waste a dealer's time.

I love my cars raw, visceral and communicative (currently drive a Caterham Superlight and Elise 160 for fun). It needs to be fun at all speeds whilst also being able to take in a couple of track days a year and be as driftable as possible!

It is something that will no doubt stay with me a very long time (10+years) so I am keen to get it right. Whilst it is likely to not do massive miles a year (maybe 5k), it does need to be reliable. Criteria are:

- communication, raw driving experience
- oversteerable
- reasonable maintenance costs
- if it can be run in winter (rain/salt) then so much the better. If not, I can get my winter driving thrills out of the Lotus.
- mild depreciation or even slight appreciation

Happy with a modified car as I don't think a standard car will be particularly exciting and this will be a car to use and enjoy rather that too much a garage queen worrying about values. I have considered everything from a SC (the SVP SC that sold recently would have been excellent) to a RPM Technik 996 CSR and everything in between however I am totally confused what to go for.

Budget is around £35k, thought can probably stretch to £55-60k (996 GT3 territory) however I fear I would need to sell the Elise in such an instance...

Any ideas/comments/thoughts very much appreciated.

SidewaysSi said:
I am somewhat confused as to what I really want and whilst I appreciate that I will only really know by trying out a few, it is a bit tricky given I don't want to waste a dealer's time.

Why is it 'tricky' :?:

From what you've said you obviously haven't got a clue what 911 will give you the most of what you want. The only way to find out is to see (or better still -drive) some.

It may be an idea if you wait until you can get to a major Porsche owners meeting and spend some time looking at the models in the same place at the same time. :dont know:

:welcome:

Many of the criteria are subjective so my advise is to get out there and try a few. It really is the only way to know.

For example I was sure I wanted an air cooled as a daily to do 90 miles a day. A few test drives later I was looking at 996's...... But again that's a subjective judgement on my part as others on here do use air cooled as 'dailys', it just wasn't for me. Follow my thinking? So T8's advice is well meant. Yiu need to hit the dealers. And it'll be fun!

Try ranking the list as well? This might help you in determining which is the most important?

Depreciation for example. If it is an issue then 996's, 996 turbos, GT3's and air cooled are your options. 997's are still levelling off (and bore score fears could impact values further). If not then anything goes and also Caymans too.

So it's a long and very subjective list. It's complex and while T8 and others would love to help it'd be their view, not yours, that'd be getting aired.

Hope that helps! I remember when I was shopping for my first and it was a great experience. Enjoy it! :thumb:

Ive had a variety of SCs, 3.2 G50, 964 C2, 964 C4, a 997 C2S manual, 997 C2S tip, Boxster 986 & a few transaxle cars. Everyone of them has been an enjoyable car, but at the moment I use a 997 C2S as my daily driver. What you decide on is going to be an entirely personal decision. You need to try a few & decide which modern day comforts you can live without or sacrifice for raw feel & Experience.

without throwing a spanner in the works ... I'd also look at a BMW M3 CSL as you might find that offers you what you're looking for . At that budget you'll be able to get a really nice one and arguably better value than a comparable aircooled 911

I don't think you'll find any Porsche 'raw' after a caterham

Thanks all. Very true, I haven't clue what I am after at all or what model will give me what I want.

I do need to drive them so need to find somewhere willing to let me have a go in a few models. Unfortunately I know a quick test drive will not tell me much about how the car will behave on the road when pushed quite hard.

I don't expect to be sliding a 911 around roundabouts but I do like being able to make a car move underneath me at moderate speeds.

As for the CSL, it is a good call. Unfortunately I don't think I can live with SMG or its lifeless steering. Rather than a £40k CSL, I would prefer a standard car and a 997 for instance.

My immediate thoughts were you really needed am M3, 911's aren't slidey cars. They grip like bstrds at the back ,then let go. If drifting round corners is your thing, don't buy a 911.
Get a GT86/BRZ and spend some cash on a supercharger and running gear upgrades. Buy one for £20k, spend £10k on it and you'll be happy to trade your Lotus and Caterham, you won't need them. I'm serious by the way, I have a 911 and a standard GT86. :thumb:

the CSL's smg really suits the car when pushing on . Agree the steering feel isn't the same a 911, but it does come alive at higher speeds / loads & on teh track. More importantly, the rear end is a whole lot more communicative than a 911 ...

Saying all this .. the car you really want is a pre 73 911 :D

Thanks both. Much as I admire the M3, I don't yearn for one. It wasn't a car I longed to own as a kid and for all the usual draws of the Porsche (legendary status, motorsport heritage etc), it does need to be a 911.

I have driven an E46 m3 and found it a bit heavy, dull, lacking on excitement. The CSL probably addresses that I will admit.

Also driven a GT86. Nice car if I wanted a brand new, sole car that could cover many bases. However, it lacked specialness and is not something that floats my boat. And as good as it is, it really is nowhere near an Elise or Caterham in slide-ability or crucially, communication. ;)

just throwing you options :)

I have 2 911's , so a big fan.

The good thing about all 911's is they can easilly be modified to allow them to become the exact car that suits you.

My 964 C2 is all stock , which is great as an all rounder but I can see me swapping out the suspension at some point , fittinf a g-pipe for more noise & ultimately would like a lightweight flywheel to add a bit of zing to the motor

My 2.4S I've subtly modded over the years & its probabally more the kind of car you're looking for, light zingy, great feedback etc etc

I do think that a standard car may not be enough and I will need to fit some mods-skinny tyres and a LSD perhaps?!

Maybe this thread should be titled "what is the most exciting sub £35k 911?"

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andewcb
Back