Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 911 Carrera 2 Water-cooled revolution with Becky Evans

Porsche News

The Porsche 996 didn’t have the best starts in life with a lot of the 911 community rejecting the changes. Water-cooling and those fried egg headlights were just too much change for the loyal Porsche fans. However, enough time has passed where it is finally being appreciated for being a properly fun performance car.

This means it is firmly placed in the future classics category and we’ll let Becky Evans tell you why.

1711571437185.png

Thanks, I enjoyed that video, I have seen Becky before about her RUF 3.3 Turbo but hadn't seen this.

I always question this line though "The Porsche 996 didn’t have the best starts in life with a lot of the 911 community rejecting the changes. Water-cooling and those fried egg headlights were just too much change for the loyal Porsche fans.".

Well if that were the case why did Porsche sell so many of them to a level where it saved Porsche finances? and they weren't cheap! Porsche lovers voted heavily in favour with their wallets, I get it that the air cooled die hards moaned about it and the investors then avoided it leading to the "Ugly Duckling" comments and the devaluing of the model financially, I'll also concede that the quality of the interior was sub standard compared to the air cooled models I've owned (911 SC and 3.3 Turbo), it was far better ergonomically though the air cooled are simply agricultural.

Thanks, I enjoyed that video, I have seen Becky before about her RUF 3.3 Turbo but hadn't seen this.

I always question this line though "The Porsche 996 didn’t have the best starts in life with a lot of the 911 community rejecting the changes. Water-cooling and those fried egg headlights were just too much change for the loyal Porsche fans.".

Well if that were the case why did Porsche sell so many of them to a level where it saved Porsche finances? and they weren't cheap! Porsche lovers voted heavily in favour with their wallets, I get it that the air cooled die hards moaned about it and the investors then avoided it leading to the "Ugly Duckling" comments and the devaluing of the model financially, I'll also concede that the quality of the interior was sub standard compared to the air cooled models I've owned (911 SC and 3.3 Turbo), it was far better ergonomically though the air cooled are simply agricultural.
The Green left hooker she drives.... Is that a Ruf ???

Interesting that I am always corrected on my comment of 3.3 Turbo to 930 Turbo, it is factually correct of course but in those days it was referred to as the 3.3 turbo (to differentiate it from the past) or simply the 911 turbo.

I actually went to this event in North Weald Essex which was a wonderful day (except i was 20 and drove to it in a Fiat 128 SL coupe).

Last edited:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back